Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosebud88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
    Spouse of 11 years and adult children of spouse who inherits property
    Tx. Spouse dies after 11 years . Of marriage. Spouse had property before marriage. Does husband and spouses children split property , or do the children get all property.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 03:33 PM

Assuming no will, and no jointly owned property, it would be governed by the intestacy statute.

Texas is a community property state, which means that since the dead spouse had the property before the marriage, the property is treated like the dead spouse owned it.

Basically, the intestate share of the surviving spouse is 1/3 and the children share the rest. That's it in a nutshell.

On the other hand, if the property was part of the community estate, the children would get half.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Oklahoma property inheritance for spouse and children [ 1 Answers ]

If a father dies without a will and leaves a house and a small amount of money, does everything go to the wife or does his half go to their 6 adult children? If the wife sells the house after her husband has been dead 9 years, does she get all the proceeds or does she only get half and the 6...

Submitting spouse W7, should spouse SSN in 1040 left blank? [ 2 Answers ]

I am submitting W7 form for my wife with my 1040 and 1040 Schedule A (itemized deductions) forms. What should I put for spouse SSN in 1040 form? Should I just write "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED" for spouse SSN? Also, on second page of 1040 I see I have my SSN on top right corner of the page, but...

College Savings Account for non-resident (adult) spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US with an F1 Visa for TOEFL and GMAT preparation courses, because I want to start my MBA in the fall 2008. I also came to visit my fiancée. Now she is my wife, we just got married last month. As she is on a F1 Visa, now on her OPT (Optional Practical Training), we...

View more questions Search