Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
    to pay now or not?
    So last year I got invisalign. My dentist gave me the impression that everything from the invisalign to the retainer after was included (shame on me for not reading the fine print and keeping a copy of it filed). Over the summer when I was done with the invisalign and it was time for my retainer as I was leaving they said, oh by the way, we forgot to tell you before that we had recently changed our contracts and our new contract, which is the one you signed, doesn't actually include the retainer, so you owe x amount and we'll send the rest to your insurance company. I wasn't happy but didn't think there was much I could do about it so I paid what they said I owed. Then the other day I got a bill in the mail saying that the insurance company wouldn't cover my retainer and I had less than a week to pay the balance. I called the dentist office trying to understand why and they wouldn't give me a straight answer, she just kept talking about how it wasn't in the first contract. I called the insurance company since when I re-read all my coverage stuff it still seemed like it should have been covered and they told me that when my dentist first submitted the claim for my invisalign they had included the cost of the retainer and the claim made over the summer was only denied because the insurance company had already approved and paid the first claim (for invisalign and my retainer). I called the dentist office and left a message for them to call me back but I don't think they're open again until Friday. The insurance company told me that according to their records I shouldn't owe anything to my dentist and that they're not paying anything else to them right now either (since they've already paid all the claims). So, I don't know what to do. I think my dentist is ripping me off and double dipping, they've already been paid by the insurance. But I have this bill here and I don't want to risk ruining my credit or anything by not paying it on time while I wait to hear back from the dentist. Any advice from anyone? Thanks :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 02:08 PM

Step 1 - get a copy of the contract you signed. What contracts after that one said (or before that one, for that matter) does not matter. All that matters is what you signed.

Also ask the Dentist for an itemized statement - it "should" show what they charged, what the insurance company paid, what you paid and so forth.

I would put these requests (copy of the contract, copy of the statement) in writing so there is NO question that you are not ignoring the Dentist, you are attempting to get info.

After you get this information "we" will be in a better position to offer advice.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 11:05 PM

Thank you! I'll write a request out and mail it tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owe about 30,000 in credit card debt,I am 63 yrs. I have pay plans but cannot pay any [ 1 Answers ]

Have a payment plan but i am not able to pay anymore,husband out of work.what can i do?

I pay $1 for LTD premiums after taxes and employer pays rest. Is my LTD pay taxable [ 1 Answers ]

I pay $ 1 for LTD premiums after taxes. My employer pays rest of premium for LTD for me. Will my LTD checks be taxable now that I've just been granted full disability?

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

View more questions Search