Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 11:18 AM
    I have a bad odor in a front bedroom and the city gas and sewer dept can not find a
    Reason for the odor. It is noticed in the morning 8 ish to 11 ish oclock. Then it disappears. Doesn't happen every morning.. Sometimes it is when it is sunny.. sometimes when humid.. sometimes when foggy... or rainy... There is not a finite pattern to when the smell will appear.
    It is contained in that one room. Upstairs just above this bedroom there might be a very faint smell of the same. Please help me to resolve this mystery, it is driving me crazy!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2010, 11:38 AM

There is not a finite pattern to when the smell will appear
    And that's what makes it hard for us to help. We're not there to localize the odor. You have to do that.
    Once we know the source, floor drain, shower drain, toilet,etc. we can began a repair. Sniff around for the strongest smell. Look in 5the attic for a open vent. Anything we can sink our teeth into. Good luck, Tom
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Sep 14, 2010, 11:41 AM
    I can only think of 3 things it might be, it will give you something to look for:

(1) If you have carpet, have a look under it to see if any damp has appeared.

(2) If you have any plants check to see that the soil has not produced mildew.

(3)
    Have a look at light fixture on ceiling, if it's a plastic fixture, these can give off a fishy smell after years of use (I know this one sounds funny, but I encountered it in a friends house).
    jeanann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 07:19 PM
    This odor is contained in a bedroom only that faces the street. To describe the odor the best I can would be it smells of sewer or rotten egg gas and is sickening. The upstairs is unfinished with only electricity. My home is well maintained without leaks or underneath moisture. I sincerely hope this further explanation can help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 15, 2010, 07:03 AM

Would the house clean out be located under that bedroom wall?
    Is there a bathroom overhead? Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Odor [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a small house. I immediately noticed a sewer gas odor. The landlord called a plumber. He noted that the only vent pipe coming out of the roof was a one and a quarter inch located behind the toilet. He installed a four inch vent pipe into the sewer line just as it was coming out...

Sewer gas odor [ 3 Answers ]

Now that it is cold, I have a strong septic odor in downstairs bathroom. I thought it was the seal which probably needs replacing. However, today the odor is in the laundry room which is separated from the bath by two rooms. Could this be the roof vent.

Bad sewer odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bad sewer odor in my master bath.I notice the smell more when the heat is turned on, which is located next to the toilet! But I also smell it coming from the tub and shower drain's. I turn the water on once a day to make sure there's water in the trap's?Any suggestion's.

Sewer Gas Odor Outside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with sewer gas outside my house. It's a new house on a septic system. I am reasonably sure that it is coming from the vents since it is worse on cold days or when the wind is just right. I was wondering if there are any kind of filters to put in the vents or if there is any...

View more questions Search