Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Older dog having trouble holding water
    Hi:

I have an 11 year old black dog. (mutt) about 30lbs if I had to guess. She's my old pal of many years, but here latley she seems to have some trouble holding her water.

She races to go out about every other hour now. So the solution is simple right? Take her out ever other hour! Well, its more complicated then that. My dog is housebroken very well, the trouble is, while we sleep, she has been peeing in front of the fridge a lot.

I think its because we never trained her how to wake us up in the event she just has to go! This was never an issue before. So now she has this spot marked in the kitchen, when she has to go, she just goes. The floor is slightly slanted there, and it runs under the fridge, where the heat from the compressor and fan spread the aroma all over the house.

My question is, what can I do to break my old dog from this? I accept the fact that she is getting old and her bladder is probobly getting weak, but are there any remedies I can try, that can help her?

She's due for her vaccinations in January, and Im going to ask the vet then about this, Im just looking for a little advice in the mean time.

Also, she has a lump about half the size of a golf ball that I noticed a while back under her arm pit. Its not growing very aggressivly, and it doesn't seem to bother her, Im going to have the vet look at that as well next month. Any ideas on what this is? And if its going to be a problem, how much will it cost to fix?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 08:52 PM
    For a fairly small dog, 30 pounds, 11 isn't that old. It could be an easily cured bladder infection. Perhaps take her in a little early for her vaccinations.

Lumps that aren't growing may not be much of a problem. I have had had a couple removed from my now 13 old Lab, Aster. It seemed as soon as I had one removed, another popped up. Each one was about $200. I have kind of given up on removing. Each dog is different. Listen to what your vet says about your dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My older dog won't eat [ 7 Answers ]

I hope I'm using this correctly - I'm fairly new to internet conversations. My (soon to be) 16 year old dog stopped eating following medication for his cough caused by his heart murmur. We took him off the medicine when it elevated his BUN kidney results, but he has failed to return to a normal...

Older house and rising water [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! OUr house is an older one. Rlight now, when we flush the toilet, the water level in the toilet rises, which lead us to believe that the toilet was just clogged. However, when we plunge the toilet, lo and behold, the water begins to come up through our bathtub drain as if by magic! Why is...

Older dog [ 11 Answers ]

I am struggling with an older dog in my household. He is 17 so I am lucky he is still around. It is a male schnauzer. He eats with no problem, but goesn't always take the medication that he needs of 5 pills in the morning, and 4 in the evening. If he is hungry, he will devour them with his...

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday I found a stray dog in the street. He didn't have a collar. My mom and I walked him over to the nearby vet and she came out and looked him over. She said he was about 6 years old and her and I both agreed he seems to look like a shepherd collie mix. He's just a sweet heart, but the...

View more questions Search