Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shyanha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Need to make limping puppy comfortable until tomorrow's vet visit. Suggestions?
    My 2-month old rescue pup fell yesterday when he squirmed out of my 12-yr old's arms. From her recounting he was only about a foot off the ground, but his paw squarely hit her music stand. He yelped and whimpered for about a minute until he came to me. He settled down right away. She feels awful and we talked about not picking up the pup any more so he can be safe (we sit down to be on his level instead of bringing him up to our level).

Aside from limping there are no signs of discomfort. He still wanted to play fetch, but I was reticent. I feel like he should keep pressure off and relax, but for real - how do you keep a 2-month old lab calm? He's crated while we sleep and are at work so that helps, but when the cats come by or he has to go potty he's a'rompin' and a'playin'.

He's only got tonight and tomorrow to go, but I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to make him more comfortable until his appointment tomorrow.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2010, 06:09 PM

For now, just keep him quiet. I know it's hard with a puppy, but try it. He needs to rest that joint as best he can.
    Festoids Posts: 16, Reputation: -7

Sep 13, 2010, 08:08 PM
    Sounds like a minor soft tissue injury. If the dog is non-weight bearing, which means he refuses to put his foot on the ground and let it bear his weight, then you're looking at a possible broken bone or torn tendons/ligaments. As it is, since the dog is weight bearing and was shortly after the incident then I would just let the leg heal on it's own. A dog understands it's own limits better than a human.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2010, 08:15 PM

I disagree with the above personally - take the dog to the vet to be sure. I have seen dogs with fractures who are weight bearing, especially young ones.
    You don't want to mess around with a puppy, with growth plates and whatnot.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Festoids View Post
    Sounds like a minor soft tissue injury. If the dog is non-weight bearing, which means he refuses to put his foot on the ground and let it bear his weight, then you're looking at a possible broken bone or torn tendons/ligaments. As it is, since the dog is weight bearing and was shortly after the incident then I would just let the leg heal on it's own. A dog understands it's own limits better than a human.
    I respectfully disagree. A two-month old puppy does not understand it's limitations.

It is better to be safe than sorry when there is possible damage to the joints/bones/muscles of a growing puppy especially in breeds that tend to be very active. A minor injury today, if not treated properly, can become a major issue later in life.

Sep 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
    He's definitely going to the vet tomorrow. We needed to go in for a follow up vaccination and exam anyway (I just got him on Thursday). He's just such a good puppy that he wanted to make it convenient for me by waiting until it was time for an appointment. ;) I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I filled his Kong with treats to keep him occupied and he's now resting peacefully in his crate.
    Marriage Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyanha View Post
    He's definitely going to the vet tomorrow. We needed to go in for a follow up vaccination and exam anyway (I just got him on Thursday). He's just such a good puppy that he wanted to make it convenient for me by waiting until it was time for an appointment. ;) I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I filled his Kong with treats to keep him occupied and he's now resting peacefully in his crate.
    He sounds like he is going to be a great addition to your family. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

We love updates and pictures if you would like to share. :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2010, 08:39 PM

Good luck, let us know!

Sep 14, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Just got back from the vet's office. She bent his paw this way and that until he yelped so she poked and prodded some more and determined it's soft tissue damage. He switches between weight-bearing and running on 3 legs, but it's not slowing him down. He's snuggled up with his goose, napping, now (Target had the cutest stuffed geese with a squeaker that actually sounds like a goose and it's his favorite toy.. . Today).

Thank you all for your concern and the information. His brother was out front today so they got to see each other - brother hasn't been adopted yet and it was tempting, but no no no, lol. I linked a video I uploaded of Momo and Monkey getting to know each other (I hope it works). Enjoy and thank you again!
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 04:42 PM

Phew! Good thing! I worry about puppies sometimes. He's very cute!
    Marriage Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 04:45 PM
    You have three beautiful animals.:)

I am glad he is okay. Thank you for the update and the video.

You might be interested in this thread. It is pictures of our pets.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lounge...ts-416334.html
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 10:47 PM

Aww gorgeous, glad pup is OK.

Even though it turned out to just be nothing really, don't feel like you wasted your money, taking him to the vet was the best thing. Young puppies can easily damage themselves and cause big, big problems later in life as they grow, I definitely would have done the same thing with a pup so young.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 04:27 AM

Glad to hear he is going to be okay! Loved the video! You have some gorgeous pets there. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I make our elderly rabbit comfortable? [ 9 Answers ]

Our rabbit is elderly, but up until this week, she was always very active and interested and energetic. Now suddenly, she has lost all interest in food, just wants to sit in one place and really looks her age. We've brought her into the kitchen where we can keep her warm, and she has perked up a...

Puppy throwing up I cannot afford a vet visit! Is there a way I can fix this [ 5 Answers ]

My 9month old puppy keeps throwing up. Iam scheduled to get his shots on Sunday but he really isn't the same as before He started having diarrhea last night and stopped eating this moring. He's lethargic and His stomach pulses when he's gagging to vomit. Is there any way or anywhere that I can...

Dog depressed after vet visit [ 7 Answers ]

My 6 year old Rottie/Collie mix has been urinating and drinking a lot lately. I took him to the vet and she ran a list of test on him to determine the cause. The blood test came back that he has high calcium levels. Therefore my vet ran some more test. She found that all his organs looked healthy,...

Boss tries to make me feel more comfortable around him? [ 9 Answers ]

I have worked for this company almost five years (USA). For four years my CEO never spoke or even looked at me. Last year when he fired my boss, he hired a consultant, and he started to talk highly about me and how smart I am. Every time I meet him and if just two of us, he always talks and...

Limping puppy [ 1 Answers ]

My 8mo. Lab is limping on his back legs. He is not over weight, is up to date on his shots. We are not giving him any supplements. What can I do to help him?

View more questions Search