Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casselli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 10:38 AM
    How do I figure out how much torque I need to move a turntable measuring 15 inches
    The turntable measures 15 inches and will have about 20 lbs of distributed load. I want to drive it with a dc gearhear motor via a belt to the central shaft which measures 1 inch in diameter.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 11:43 AM

If you mean that the turntable is 15 inch diameter, and is oriented vertically to lift 20 pounds of load carried on the rim (like a hoist), then the torque is 15/2 inches x 20 pound = 150 pound-feet. You would actually need a bit more to acount for start-up loads (how quickly mist it spin up to speed with this load) and friction. However, if you mean that the turntable is laying horizontally, then all you need worry about is fricton and how fast you want it to be able to spin up to speed (rotational acceleration). So please clarify how this turn table is being used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating torque to move an object [ 22 Answers ]

Can somebody please tell me how I calculate how much torque is required to turn a wheel to move an object weighing 80Kgs

To move a object of 8 KG how much torque and speed is required [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know that how much torque and speed motor should I require to over throw the 8 kg object Actually this motor would be mount vertically and perpendicular to the axis of the of my robot or car, and the opponent is of 8 kg and from shaft of my mounted motor , there would be z shaped rod...

Torque to Move Bicycle from Rest [ 6 Answers ]

The following attached file is a free body diagram for a bicycle. Please excuse the crudity of the drawing, I drew it on paint. The bicycle weighs 100 kilograms with the rider on it and has 26 inch wheels. The bicycle is at rest. The static coefficient of friction between the wheels and the road is...

Cacluating Torque to Move Object [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bicycle with 26 inch diameter wheels that weighs 200 pounds with the rider on it. The bicycle has two wheels. How much torque would this bicycle need to maintain a constant speed of 20mph? Assuming no air resistance?

Move cast iron tub drain a few inches? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a special part to move a cast iron tub drain a few inches such as the 'off -set closet flange' for a toilet? Am still working on the specs for remodeling a teenie bath in a pre-WWll bldg. We plan to rip out thick tile & lath/plaster walls in the tub alcove and replace with 1/2" cement...

View more questions Search