Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grumpyoldman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Whirlpool Front Loader won't wash
    Model AWM 1821, won't fill with water , have checked water inlets(solenoids) and they are OK, level sensor not to sure but it looks OK.
    When washer is put through test sequence as per service manual it does fill but won't go into wash sequence, door light willl come on and that's where it stays, doesn't get to end of sequence to light up error codes.

Just about to have another look but I don't think it will spin either,
    Would this be motor? Or maybe timer unit ( at $370 I hope not )??

Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Steve
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Are the components on this washer solid state or mechanical?

(modern computer controls with digital read outs, or old fashioned pull to start timer)

Dec 27, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Solid state.temperature readout is digital, timer is housed on a circuit board containing electronic components, ICs resistors relays etc.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Well, the best thing I can think for the motor, is to set it to operate and then check for voltage at the motor. If no voltage is present, then its possible that the board could be bad.

Sometimes I have to work on things that I have no service literature for that have a control board, and my only recourse is to check all of the switches, coils, voltages, etc, and if all checks good, change the board.. . 7.5 times out of 10, that takes care of it. Those remaining 2.5, I find part of the problem may have still been the board, but I find that it took out other componets as well.

If there is a transformer on the system, check to make sure it is giving the proper voltage, I have seen a lot of small 24 volt transformers burn up control circuits.

That's the trouble with those expensive parts, the repair man carries that part on his truck, or in his shop, he can put it in, if that don't get it, take it back out and use it eslewhere, while he finds the right problem, the average do it yourselfer, just has to take the gamble, and if it don't work, you're still stuck with it 9 times out of 10.

Anyway, like I said, just check all of your switches. etc..

Dec 27, 2006, 08:36 PM
    Yeah, just going to check for blockages etc, might take timer board out and have a look for burnt components ( its reasonably easy to get to )
    Manual says check pump, hoses, etc. so I will do this first
    Failing this I will start checking voltage levels

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washer front loader [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore front loader washer that is five years old and is now making noises (periodic squealing). I removed the back panel and it looks like the belt is rubbing into the container. Can this belt be adjusted or am I looking at replacing this machine? Love the Kenmore, but cannot...

Frigidaire front loader [ 1 Answers ]

My basement recently flodded and I think it damaged the front loading washer I have. When I plugged it back in it seems to work, but the washer doesn't spin... it just fills with water and then nothing... no washing, no spinning.. no nothing! How can this be repaired ?:(

Frigidaire front loader not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

I've checked out the motor resistance and everything checks out to spec. except for the stator winding which reads 1.7 ohms instead of the specified .37 ohms. Any thoughts on this? The speed control board test was passing 120v until I got to the test for pin 3 of the 9 pin plug to pin 4 of the...

Whirlpool LA5700XS Wash Machine [ 7 Answers ]

Anyone know how to clean the tub that surrounds the basket without taking apart the whole machine? The machine is about 15 years old, but in great working order, except it smells moldy now. I think I traced the smell to some mold and or something in the tub, but can't see an easy way to separate...

View more questions Search