Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vcavina Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Replacing an electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home to Gas Heat
    One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater.

The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no problem with the unit and they suggested though to look into putting a gas unit.

My concern is that gas units have different code requirements than electrical, such as the 3inch space on each side and the 6 inches from the door and 30 inches space in front to service the unit. There is 30inches space ( it's located in the hall way of the MH) but there is no 3 inches inside the space.

Another issue that comes into my mind is that electrical units have different technical requirements as far as air intake etc.

My question is: Can we replace the unit electrical with gas unit , and do they manufacture gas units for MH that can replace electrical units, and does the code permits that?

Any other advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Vcavina
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 04:41 PM
    I will send a copy of this over to the HVAC forum as I am only an electrician and cannot answer most of your questions.

Any gas unit will draw much less than any electric heater, so power capacity should be no problem.

The spacing that a gas unit needs usually means to keep a fair clearance from combustible, however if fire rated drywall is used, perhaps the unit can be closer.

The lack of insulation is going to be an issue no matter that heating system. Adding humidity always helps with keep the space warm, and electric heat is notorious for being bone dry.

There are some here in electric that may be able to help some also.

This is the best I can offer for now, I believe you will get more help over at HVAC, have a nice ride.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

Gas Wall Mount heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Williams wall mount heater model #5009622. My problem is I do not know if it wired up correctly. I looked at an owners manual online and it showed a diagram of a control valve having three electrical posts. Mine has four. What I need to know is where all the components connect to the...

Mobile Home Electrical Service [ 6 Answers ]

Thgis is a combination electrical/legal guestion. Who is responsible for the service drop in a mobile home park? I live in Pennsylvania and was recently told by a human services agency here that weatherization could not be started on my mobile home until a problem with the main electrical...

Replacing single sink vanity [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing my single sink vanity with a double sink vanity. Can I use the water supply lines that were for the single sink for the 2 new sinks. What do I use to supply both sinks?

View more questions Search