Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christine walker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Locked Out Of Apartment
    The stove in my apartment caught fire and caused damage to the stove and cabinets. I will have to pay for the damage. The landlord took the keys and said I could.nt live there until repairs are made. It.s been two weeks and they haven.t started work yet. It is time to pay rent again in a few days. Can they legally keep me out of the apartment?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by christine walker
    can they legally keep me out of the apartment?
    Hello christine:

Legally really isn't the issue right now. If the apartment is un-inhabitable, then it is. They have determined it to be so. It's probably true too, because it's not in their financial interest to make such a declaration. Or, more to the legal point - it has yet to be determined whether it is, or isn't in their interest to declare it un-inhabitable.

Clearly, if you can't live in it, you're not expected to pay for it. Depending on the state where you live, this is called a rent abatement. How it's handled is different in every state. Some would have you put the rent into escrow. Others would have you pay your rent where you’re living now.

Ask them, in writing, when the apartment will be habitable (use that word). Inform them that you can't be expected to pay for an apartment that is un-inhabitable. Send the letter, certified, return receipt requested.

Let us know what they say.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 07:58 PM
    excon is using those big words today, must have gotten that dictionary for Chistmas. And he must like you he was really nice too.

But he is correct they can stop you from living there because of the damage. They would have to let you in to get some of your belongings, if the building is safe to walk into. ( no structure damage)

As far as you paying for the damge, did you actually cause the damage, grease fire, cloth on the stove or what. If there was just some electrical problem with the stove you would not be liable.

And of course that is why we should and I hope you did have renters insurance to help cover the damage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All keys on keyboard are locked [ 8 Answers ]

All the keys on the keyboard are locked. I have a feeling that I may have held a key down too long while thinking/typing. How can I fix this?

Mower locked up [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have craftsman 6.5 push mower that is about 8 years old. I went to prime it to start it last week and after it starts it only stays on for about 5 to 10 seconds and then shuts off. Then it won't start again unless I prime it again. It did this about 10 times and then the engine locked up...

Mower wheel locked [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toro self-propelled mower. I was mowing today and all-of-a-sudden the rear left wheel locked. Any ideas?

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Locked out of AllExperts.com [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I'm a expert on this site, (plumbing page), as well as AllExperts.com. I went to answer a question this morning and got this back. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14' The log file for database 'allexperts' is full. Back up the...

View more questions Search