Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Sep 11, 2010, 03:23 PM
    Why don't I have any self control when it comes to food or dieting?
    I'm 19. I used to weigh 230 pounds and I am currently at 190. I used to eat well and exercise daily and even started running. I was completely healthy, I had perfect blood pressure and fantastic cholesterol. I didn't even drink anything other then water. But lately, all I do is eat junk. I'll eat chips all day, every day, or if there's cookies around, I'll eat them. If there's cake, I'll down 2 or 3 slices in the whole day. Or ice cream. Or I'll eat mcdonalds almost every single day or any other fast food I can get my hands on. Or I'll eat an entire pizza 4 times a week. Or anything really. And I'll drink soda all day. Even if water is sat down in front of me I'll go for the coke. But the thing is, I won't eat these things casually. I'll eat and eat and eat until I'm so full I'm about to throw up. And some times I do. I feel very depressed and regretful when I eat these things, and the same if I don't. But either way, the food ends up in my mouth every time. I don't know what's wrong with me. I have no self control and no motivation. I don't want to put back all the weight I worked so hard to lose and bring my health down with it. And I'm also supposed to be getting married in November and I would actually like to look good for myself and my future husband. But even with that thought in my mind, I have no motivation and no push or drive to get me to do anything about my eating habits.

What can I do? I can't stop myself and I don't know how to. Help me? ):

I am very embarrassed and ashamed to be posting this, so, please, don't make fun of me. I already feel bad enough about myself...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 03:35 PM

No one here will make fun of you.

If I were you, I would immediately get myself into counseling with a life coach or counselor so that I would have someone to help me set realistic goals and to make me accountable.

Can you find someone like that and start THIS WEEK?

Sep 11, 2010, 03:42 PM

I don't have insurance or anything of that sort and currently have no job. I can't afford anything like that. ):
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket Away View Post
    I can't afford anything like that. ):
    How do you afford all that food? Who's funding this?

Sep 11, 2010, 03:46 PM

I currently live with my family until November. And my family, even though they are all skinny, eat like animals. So, there is always food in the house or my mom will buy something she know's I like and I won't argue, so, she'll assume there's no problem..
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 03:46 PM

First, stop beating yourself up. Fast food is designed to be addictive. There's a very carefully calculated ratio of sugar and salt used in all those things to make you want to eat them well past the point where you are full. And yes, studies have found that people get the same sort of pleasure reward from eating junk as from abusing drugs.

The bad news is this means it's almost impossible to just cut down and have some junk food. You need to cut it out completely, and go back to eating the way you know keeps you healthy.

There are people and organisations who will help you do this if you feel you can't do it on your own.

However, I would also take a good look at your life and where you are going with it. Is it significant that when you are planning your marriage, you start behaving in a destructive way?

Sep 11, 2010, 03:48 PM

I don't start and didn't start behaving this when when I started planning my marriage. It just sort of... happened. I caved and had a slice of pizza and that was it... I just started eating uncontrollably.

Sep 11, 2010, 03:49 PM

I should also mention that I mostly eat because I'm bored. I have no job and I'm not in school and don't really have many friends any more. So... I end up in my house 24/7 eating.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 03:56 PM

I know it sounds obvious, but get out of the house! Go for walks or cycles, or better still, volunteer for something. See if any charity shops need you for a few hours a week. Do any Moms 'n Tots groups need a helper? What about helping out Care in the Community people?

Or how about going back to school? You don't have to go full time if you are job hunting, but you can certainly do some courses that will keep you interested, and may improve your job prospects.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth control as well as food and medicine [ 8 Answers ]

Please forgive me if this is not the right forum to ask this question. As the US provides life saving medical treatment and food to impovrished nations, do we also provide and strongly promote the use of contraception? If not, isn't it an endless expense for the US? Just something I've...

Periods with dieting [ 7 Answers ]

Why does dieting effect your period? I'm currently on a diet just to lose 10 pounds, does that mean my period will not come/be late? Can this be avoided?

Weird Food Combinations aka Gun Control LOL [ 257 Answers ]

Okay, this may not be a combo exactly but I salt my cantelope melon. . Oh, now here is one, and my hubby likes peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches! :p Fried Mars bars?? :eek:

Weird Drinks - a/k/a Weird Food - a/k/a Gun Control [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, got to get this one started to go along with our Weird Dinners. Anyone ever had a Monkey Brain? How about a Duck Fart?

View more questions Search