Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleythrmn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Handy man? Or Handy Woman?
    I grew up with my dad so I know how to do a lot of things that usually guys do! Is it bad that I'm the fixer-uper in our house and my boyfriend doesn't know how to do anything?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 03:48 PM

Not in the least. It's very sexist to assume that guys can do DIY stuff and girls can't. As long as one of you can keep the house from collapsing, I don't see a problem.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 04:07 PM

My wife knows how to do most household chores and tasks. That's probably why I married her. Just kidding. You see, I didn't want to marry a "girlie girl" who didn't fish and who couldn't drive a tractor. She has a little problem with helping me clean deer, but she can take care of the fish, no problem.

Just like I know how to do all of the household chores like wash clothes, sew, and cook. It's not "his jobs" and "her jobs" anymore. Everyone should be able to do everything.

You just keep doing what you're doing. It makes you more whole, more complete as an independent person.

Good for you.

HE needs work.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 04:13 PM

Enigma1999 agrees : Jm, I would not be your type. I can't fish, awe, poor deer, and what's a tractor? Lol

Oh yes you would have been my type! I've seen your picture, and I know how sweet you are. You're one girlie girl that I would put up with.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 04:17 PM

Hello Ashley,

I know I am going to contradict myself here by saying this, but I don't think it's a problem, however, for me, I would want a man who also knows what he is doing.

See, I don't know the first thing about cars, sink, toliets, any faucet of any knid. Cable, cords, fixtures, electronics, painting, wall paper, NOTHING NOTHING. So yes, I would want a man who would know what he is doing.

I know that's bad...

I do think it's really good that you know your stuff.

More power to you!
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Enigma1999 agrees : Jm, I would not be your type. I can't fish, awe, poor deer, and what's a tractor? lol

Oh yes you would have been my type! I've seen your picture, and I know how sweet you are. You're one girlie girl that I would put up with.
    Meow! ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 05:37 PM

I think it's great. I'm very handy around the house too. I'm one of those girls that gets giddy when we get a flyer for tools. I love going to the hardware store having one of the male employees come up to ask what we're looking for (he always addresses hubby and ignores me) and having my husband say "ask her, she's the one looking for a new table saw". Then I rattle off exactly what I want and watch their little eyes bug out because I'm female.

I have my own workshop in the garage. One Christmas I got a lathe from hubby, I was thrilled.

So keep doing what you're doing. It doesn't matter that you're female, we can do anything guys can do. :)

Sep 11, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Comment on jmjoseph's post
    Yea but I can be a complete girlie girl too! But when it comes to wanting my house to be nice and everything fixed and perfect I have a problem lol.. I just decided tonight that I didn't like our carpet and started ripping it out.. lol

Sep 11, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    Good:)

Sep 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
    Comment on Enigma1999's post
    Its not bad to not know things a lot of girls don't but I grew up with my dad and 3 uncles so I know how to do anything you can think of lol
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 16, 2010, 09:26 PM

No, it is not bad that you know how to do the fixer-upper things. My Dad taught my to change my oil, fix a tire, hammer a nail, etc. My brothers taught me how to install my car stereo system. All kinds of things that I really needed to know because when I married, my husband did not know one end of the hammer from the other. He never enjoyed that kind of DIY activities and I never minded them.

I'd say - good for you for knowing how to do some things for yourself!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a man or a woman? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I think I have a problem but to be honest I'm not even sure it should be something to be worried about! I think I'm turning into a man! I am a 20 year old female student from the UK. I am straight and I have lots of friends of both sexes from all corners of the earth. I am not...

Can handy man install a tankless water heater? [ 13 Answers ]

Save money any way I can. Thank you

Am I a Man or a Woman? [ 49 Answers ]

I am a thirty something mother of two, but have always had manly tendencies in a bad way. For instance, I would stick a couple of tube socks in my pants, which illustrated my penis and testes, and act on making love to a woman to the point of orgasm, but make like I ejaculated. I enjoy the...

Woman vs. Man [ 15 Answers ]

Does it bother men when you ask them out? I don't normally ask them because that's not how I was brought up, but I know that men can be just as shy as we are.

Sending handy data to my PC [ 15 Answers ]

I have this beautiful Siemens CX70 handy that takes still and moving pictures, but the book does not explain how I can send them to myself per email. Can someone please stir me in the right direction? I'm new at SMS MMS, etc. and would really like some simple help so that I can use my gift to it's...

View more questions Search