Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle1967 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2010, 08:15 AM
    Does my boss fancy me?
    I am themanager of a company and my boss is the owner. I have worked with him for two years and always had an excellent relationship with him. He si currently divorcing his wife and has become a better person (I think so anyway) - more involved in the business and the people in it - although as I said, we have always been very friendly.
    A couple of weeks ago we had a staff night out and I drank a liitle too much - not legless, but enough to loosen my tongue. We spent a lot of the evening together, danced together, he paid for everything for me and I ended up telling him that I found him attractive, that it was a shame for the business that we hadn't ever gotten it together and then he asked me to come away with him for the weekend (he's a had a few drinks too!). I wasn't so tiddled that I do not remember the conversation - we talked about where he was at emotionally right now and that he had to live a little before embarking on another relationship as I was no way going to be a fling or just a quick fumble. He seemed amused that I thought he would use me in that way. Then we were interrupted and conversation ceased. In the cold light of day, I thought I had been a little stupid so emailed him an apology and blamed the drink. I made a joke of it to relieve the pressure for both of us. And since then we have not discussed it - although I hear through a friend of a friend that he is chasing another woman right now. We are still very close professionally, spend lots of time alone at work and there is no discomfort between us - but did I read it all wrong? Why is it not mentioned? Was he not serious about it or was it the drink talking - although he wasn't that drunk. He is always telling me that I am an excellent manager and just two days after the evening out he gave me a huge cash bonus... I really do not know what is going on here and feel as if I have been bought off to keep quiet. A close friend feels that he is aware that I am perhaps struggling financially and as he respects me professionally then he was making sure that I was OK... I'm not in turmoil over this but do genuinely care for this chap. Any help appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 08:18 AM

If he is a successful professional business he has realized that entering into a relationship with an employee very well may be a very big mistake. To a certain extent, I'm sure it was the alcohol talking, too.

I may also realize that "currently divorcing" does NOT make him a single man and any involvement at this time could come back and harm his divorce case.

Would I ever get involved with someone I work with, including my employer? No - very bad idea. I have also always been very careful not to over-indulge (in alcohol) at business events.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 08:23 AM

It's probably best if you have a professional relationship only. Since he wants to "have a good time" right now.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 11, 2010, 01:48 PM

Look what you said to him, "it was a shame for the business that we hadn't ever gotten it together" You might call that the alcohol talking but some say more truth comes out in the alcohol than not. Your statement to him was pretty bold. You should feel good that neither one of you acted on that. Thank heavens for interrupted conversations.

I agree with Judy and JM - leave it professional, actually the more professional the better. No good can come from pursuing him or him pursing you. No good at all - just think of it this way - the guy is still married and willing to play. Chances are, if he remarried, his behavior would be much the same and woe to the woman who would think she would be "the one" for him.

I'd stay clear of the over indulgence of alcohol at any staff night out. One drink - sure. You can nurse one drink then switch to pop. Just be careful from now on. You can be concerned for him but at a safe distance.

Good luck.
    michelle1967 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 12:00 AM
    Thank you to everyone who answered - it helped me to see the wood for the trees! I am an excellent manager and usually a very professional person - but I am still a woman! Which means I analyse situations, need answers and always fall for bad guys! Lets face it, I do only know him professionally but am getting little hints on how he would be personally - flirting with everyone, chasing women, selfish and probably a complete a - hole, hence the third divorce! I suppose in his own way he has made it quite clear that nothing more will happen between us but then in my book, he should stop the flirting with me! Only yesterday he said I smelt nice, whilst leaning into my neck! It really is not acceptable anymore. I suppose he thinks we are both adults here and there was no harm done so we just go back to normal or maybe he just loves the attention and relishes having a harem of women swooning over him haha.
    Oh well - back to work and thank you guys.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2010, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle1967 View Post
    Thank you to everyone who answered - it helped me to see the wood for the trees! I am an excellent manager and usually a very professional person - but I am still a woman! Which means I analyse situations, need answers and always fall for bad guys! Lets face it, I do only know him professionally but am getting little hints on how he would be personally - flirting with everyone, chasing women, selfish and probably a complete a - hole, hence the third divorce! I suppose in his own way he has made it quite clear that nothing more will happen between us but then in my book, he should stop the flirting with me! Only yesterday he said I smelt nice, whilst leaning into my neck! It really is not acceptable anymore. I suppose he thinks we are both adults here and there was no harm done so we just go back to normal or maybe he just loves the attention and relishes having a harem of women swooning over him haha.
    Oh well - back to work and thank you guys.

Being a woman does not mean "we" always fall for bad guys.

You are also being sexually harassed, whether you realize it. I would take this relationship/friendship back to a professional level before he really goes overboard!
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 12, 2010, 06:55 AM

Agrees with Judy that his flirting with you, or with any woman, is a form of sexual harassment. Gets complicated, doesn't it?

Take care of yourself first and foremost. My very best to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does he fancy her [ 20 Answers ]

My husband sits and drinks with another woman and when I am out with him and she is there he can't take his eyes of her and he turns cold and hostile towards me one night when she wasn't there he took an angry turn towards me her daughter was serving behind the bar did he turn on me so the daughter...

Does my Boss fancy me? [ 8 Answers ]

I've been at my new job for one month and I get on very well with my boss. I asked him out for a drink via email but I haven't received a answer yet. He keeps winking, staring and smiling at me. He is always asking me questions about my life and he tells me about his, I know a lot about him. We...

Does he fancy me? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in my first year of university and really confused about a certain guy, which is in some of my classes. Since I started uni in October 08 me or my friends have not spoken to this guy and girl that he hangs around with. (They are not together) but I have a huge crush on him....

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search