Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    druley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Water backup in dishwasher
    When cleaning up after the holiday dinner, water backed up out of the disposal and into the dishwasher. It overflowed into the wood flooring and down to the level below. Is this a partial blockage in the disposal drain pipe that forced the drain water into the dishwasher? We have run the water and disposal since without issue. Is there a check valve in the 18-year-old Jenn-Air DU451 dishwasher that prevents such backups when working properly? The backup occurred twice in two days of heavy holidays use. Should we call a plumber or an appliance repairman?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2006, 07:24 PM
    If the dishwasher is installed correctly, the discharge hose should be risen above the drains of the sink before coming back down to the disposer inlet. This should prevent backflow into the dishwasher.

Perhaps if your hose was just "tacked up" someway, it could have fallen. Basically, it should back up in your sink before it backs up into the dishwasher.

That and it also sounds like you have a restriction in your drain lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher water hookup question [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Kenmore, how do I hook up the water line to it, it came with no hoses.

Dishwasher - water murky after wash [ 1 Answers ]

After washing a load of dishes, my four year old Whirlpool dishwasher usually has murky looking water in the bottom. The dishes look clean but their final rinse was obviously with this murky water which is unappealing at best. I have an airgap, which is connected into the disposal, but the...

Adding a backup water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 gas tankless water heaters. I need to add a backup of either electric or propane to help with the winter strain of a gas fireplace, heat, etc. Is this an expensive process?

Water backup under kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have got a leak that is under my kitchen sink and seems to be under the floor. When I drain water it goes down the drain and then it bubbles up from under the floor under my sink and out onto my kitchen floor. It smells really bad. I had a plumber come out about a year ago to...

Water Backup [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I replaced the original elbow (40+ yrs old) on my upstairs sink because the plug had rusted out. After doing so the sink worked great - unfortunately the next day when the upstairs shower or the kitchen sink was used it backs up into the main floor bathtub. I have tried plunging while...

View more questions Search