Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormynight1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 04:15 PM
    Can you remove money from a 403b plan to buy a vacation condo or a time share
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 06:03 AM

Depends. You may be able to access your account if you are no longer an employee of the organization you worked for when you were contributing to your 403(b). If this is the case you can take a withdrawal, but you will have to pay income taxes plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty (if you are under age 59-1/2). In general this would not be a wise decision - if you need to dip into your retirement savings to buy a vacation home perhaps you should be rethinking whether you are financially able to affford a vacation home.

If you are still an active employee of the organization where you contributed to your 403(b), in all likelihood you are not allowed to take a withdrawal for this purpose. However, plans differ from employer to employer, so read the plan documenation, or call the plan administrator to ask. Something else to consider: the plan may offer the option of taking a loan, which has the advantage of not being a taxable withdrawal and does not incur any early withdrawal penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I use my 403b to buy a home? [ 0 Answers ]

I am buying a home and need money for a down payment. I do not have money saved and would like to use money in my 403B. How does it work?

TIAA-CREF 403b tradional retirement plan [ 3 Answers ]

In 1994 I started a TIAA-CREF Traditional 403b account that a company I worked for also contributed to. I contributed to it until 1995, at which time I became a Graduate student, and had to drop back to part-time work. I have not worked for the company since 1998. As of 2006, I became disabled as a...

View more questions Search