Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murphycharlie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Would a vanity sink be made with the overflow
    We have 5 bathroom vanity-style sinks in our upstairs. Looking under each sink, there is a "ridge" of sorts that is exactly where an overflow would run. The sink drains even have the hole for the overflow, just no holes in the actual sinks. All the sinks upstairs are like this, and they all drain VERY slow unless we completely unscrew and remove the drain cover (obviously lets more air in and drains fine then.) There are 5 sinks, all different areas of the house, same brand, same problem, so I know it isn't an exterior plumbing vent issue. How can I tell if they just didn't drill the holes or if this ridge is just a reinforcement for the bottom of the sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2010, 05:39 PM

Here's a vanity sink with a over flow.(see image) You can learn more by clicking on; Avonite - ADA Sink > The Fabricator Network > Blog
    Can you take some pictures of yours and let us look at them. Regards,Tom
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 04:42 AM
    Sometimes happens that wrong drain is installed ( w/o overflow hole) or plumber's putty got into the overflow channel during installation and plugged it. Do this: remove pop up plug ( stopper ), take flash light and look inside the drain. See if there is hole in the drain and on its side. Also , you may want to pour little water into the overflow ( by the rim ) and see if water goes down to the drain.

I believe overflow is required in all States. Some high design sinks and vessel sinks don't have overflow.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 07:51 AM

Hi GUYS:

If I'm reading this right, Charlie's sinks don't have any overflow holes in them... in any of them.

Sounds like the sinks have raised ridges underneath that suggest an overflow, but no hole above.

If I was Charlie I would change out 1 pop-up assembly for a vessel sink drain (see images, Charlie). If the vessel sink drain improves drainage at 1 sink it should improve drainage at the other sinks, too.

Read on Charlie...

A regular pop-up assembly will not always work real well without that overflow hole.

You may need to purchase a vessel sink drain... see images. Best bet is to purchase a flip top or a pop-up (also called mushroom or umbrella type) drain assembly. These drain assemblies mix air with water at a ratio that allows for better drainage. The grid style, even though made for vessel sinks, is not a great choice as they just don't seem to mix the air with the water the way the others mentioned above do. You will need to keep the rod from the old pop-up assembly in place to keep the hole plugged in the faucet.

Go to home depot, Lowe's or menards and purchase the better style vessel sink drain and install it on one of the sinks... betting you will be up and draining properly soon. You will also need plumber's putty...

Mark

PS: Do not confuse a regular sink pop-up assembly with a vessel sink pop up drain... totally different.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 05:58 PM

Maybe Charlie has same problem I had.

Charlie see this post.

http://Home > Home & Garden > Plumbi... Dumb of What?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 06:19 PM

Got to go with Mark on this one but I have to pass the greenies around more before I can commend him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Single sink vanity to a double sink vanity [ 1 Answers ]

How do I convert the waste line from a single bowl sink to a double bowl sink vanity. chowdry

Sink Vanity Installation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my husband and I just purchased a brand new sink vanity for our powder room. We removed the wall mounted pedestal with no problem and then realized that the piping coming from the wall is wider then the opening for the vanity. Is there any way to resolve this short of cutting into the...

Vanity Sink trap [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a bathroom sink with very little clearance to place the trap below the waste pipe. Will this present a problem draining water or causing gas fumes? There will also be extra bends involved. Please refer to my sketch. Thanks. Jay

Vanity Staron (like Corian) Overflow drain lines [ 5 Answers ]

We are trying to install a new Staron double bowl lavatory vanity top. We have put in a Moen Asceri faucet with pop up drain. They have included a plastic adaptor for the drain to hook the overflow tube from the sink, and you put it between the sink underside and the tailpiece. It is white plastic...

View more questions Search