Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Simonsteve47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 01:57 PM
    They are holding back child support out of my SSI old age check Where is this money
    Where is this money going my kids are not getting it
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 02:00 PM

I assume it would be paid to your ex wife to be disbursed for your childrens' needs. If your children are not benefiting from the money then I would ask her to give an accounting of it. How do you know your children are not getting it. The money may be being used for their school supplies, clothing, general up keep; ways in which they would not comprehend. I don't suppose it would be handed over to them to spend as they see fit.

Tick

Tick
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsteve47 View Post
    Where is this money going my kids are not getting it
    The money never goes to the children; it goes to the custodial parent.

You said it's back support - how old are the kids? Even if they're legal adults(over 18), the money will still go to their mother for the expenses she incurred raising them a majority of the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2010, 04:45 PM

Also, if its back support it may first be going to the state if they provided public assistance to the mother.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 05:38 PM

You have lots of good information to explore with what our members gave you. It's time to do your homework and figure out just where your money DID go.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    The money never goes to the children; it goes to the custodial parent.

You said it's back support - how old are the kids? Even if they're legal adults(over 18), the money will still go to their mother for the expenses she incurred raising them a majority of the time.
    Or as some states would have it. It's a gift to the mom for bearing children because they charge interest and it can last a lifetime as a windfall for the parent well beyond any expenses.
    GeorgeMcCasland Posts: 42, Reputation: -5
    -

Sep 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
    The first problem here is that SSI cannot be garnished for child support, or anything else. Are you on SSI, or SSDI? SSDI can be attached, however there is a separate child benefit check that is also retroactive. You need to look closer at exactly what they are doing and why about your Child Support Arrears. Also, why are you in arrears? If you had a justifiable cause, such as unemployment or disability, and didn't know you could get Free Legal Representation to get it lowered, that option may still be available, depending on your specific state laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I marry someone that owe back pay child support will my check be garinshed [ 3 Answers ]

Can my paycheck be garnished if my husband owe back pay in child support

Child support closed out my case, but still took out money from my check [ 3 Answers ]

My child support case has been closed, but they're still taking money from my disability check. Does that money come back to me?

Getting the Child Support Money Back? [ 19 Answers ]

Ok, I swear it's real. My husband and I have been married for almost 4 years. We have 2 children together and he has an older son with his ex. When the divorce went through, he gave her custody of his son. She spent the last 5 years completely ing him up and finally (after her sister called DCF)...

Can an adult get back child support from deceased parents ssi? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for an adult to get his or hers back support or ssi from a deceased parent? There was never a support order and the father was killed when the kid was a baby and the mother is now deceased...

Back child support with holding from SSD [ 1 Answers ]

How much can be taken out of my social security disability for back child support a month.

View more questions Search