Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmariemc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 12:01 PM
    how old should a child be before overnight sleeps with the father?
    the baby is turnning 1 soon, the father has him 2 hours 3x week.
    now he wants ever second weekend and one week at christmas and a month and a half at summer.
    what chance do I have at fighting this.
    cant we just share hours, I don't believe he is ready for overnights and to be away form mon and sister for so long. Please give me advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 12:06 PM

Depends on the Court and what set up the father has in his house. A family member recently had this same argument. The Court ruled overnight, one night at a time, was acceptable; longer periods are not at this point.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 01:44 PM

The legal answer is as soon as the court allows it.

The parental answer is actually a question. What makes you believe you are more qualified than he is? Just because you are the mom does not automatically make you more qualified as a parent.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bmariemc View Post
    the baby is turnning 1 soon, the father has him 2 hours 3x week.
    now he wants ever second weekend and one week at christmas and a month and a half at summer.
    what chance do i have at fighting this.
    cant we just share hours, i dont believe he is ready for overnights and to be away form mon and sister for so long. please give me advice.
    I have to agree with steve on all counts - why are you ready to "fight" this? The child needs his father's influence just as much as his mother's.

At one year of age, what do you think are qualifications for him to be "ready" to sleep at his father's house? My opinion would be to get him adjusted to it now, rather than waiting a few years and having a potentially terrible situation on your hands.
    MotherHen1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 06:33 AM
    I trust Steve is talking about normal circumstances, but not every one has those.

My child has her grandfathers in her life she doesn't need her fathers bad influence which is already coming across in a weekly 6 hour visit. If you call this his rights what about her rights to have a normal as possible life.
    He was the one that ignored her from birth then only requested access so he could press my daughters buttons. This child is left with his mother and often comes back hungry, reaking of cigarettes is that her right as well.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 07:32 AM
    First, this is a very old thread BUT you asked and so I'll answer.

If you aren't happy with the visitation or custody schedule, go back to Court and get it changed.

Your combative attitude here, in the form of a question, will not work well for you.

WE don't make the laws. We just tell you what they are and how the legal system operates. In your particular situation the custodial parent should go to Court and get the Order changed PROVING that the "other parent" is unfit and/or a danger to the physical or mental health of the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a grand child who sleeps 2 hours and stays awake 22 hours. [ 6 Answers ]

My grand child sleeps 2 hours and stays awake for 22 hours. Her mother has talked to doctor and he gave her some things to try but nothing is working.I've seen on TV (health chan) something about children who do not sleep but can't remember what they found out to solve the problem. I'm trying to...

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

Legal age to leave child overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the legal age a mature child can be left alone if his fathers adult cousin lives across the street and his mother lives at the end of the block in Forestville Calif?:rolleyes:

View more questions Search