Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yankfan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2003, 04:10 PM
    Drain Cleaners
    To whom it may Concern

I am doing a science fair project on the ability of drain cleaners. I need to know the chemicals in the drain cleaners Drano, Zep, and The Works; and how the cleaners work. Can you please tell me where I can find this information.

Thank you,
    Yankfan.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2003, 10:33 AM
    Drain Cleaners
    The main ingredient in most drain cleaners is sodium hydroxide. It breaks fats in the clog down into soaps that are water soluble. It may also break down other organic materials in the clog. Some of the dry ones contain particles of aluminium too. In the water, it reacts giving off hydrogen gas which helps blow the clog away. Dissolving, diluting, and reacting all produce heat, softening the clog.

I do not know the ingredients in the specific products. Read the labels and try the manufacturers website. Also some of them have a consumer hotline.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Registry Cleaners [ 4 Answers ]

Using win98se (I know but xp won't solve my problem as I kind of like 98). I've got about 4 registry cleaners--paid for 1, 3 are free downloads (JV16, etc). When I run all these programs, they all want to delete iexplore.exe (in addition to junk). What's with that? I've never had a problem...

Citric acid in cleaners & titration [ 1 Answers ]

A lot of cleaners nowadays advertise being more effective due to their ingredient of citric acid. If I wanted to find the concentration of citric acid in various cleaner solutions, would titration be a plausible method? Also, how would one go about finding the exact pH of the citric acid content...

View more questions Search