Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MDC123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 11:13 AM
    How long can you wait before paying state taxes after moving to a new state?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 11:15 AM

When they are due.. pay them. There is no tax exempt period. It begins the day you move there.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 01:20 PM

You must file by April 15 in your new state, just as with federal taxes. For the first year you are most likley going to file as a part-year resident of your new state, and you pay tax to the new state only on income you earned while either working or residing in the state. You also file as a part-year resient of the old state, to cover income earned while working or residing there.

If your question is about paying estimated income tax - the first year you probably can get away without having to pay estimated tax without any interest penalty, as most states (maybe all? Not sure) allow an exemption against interest penalties for underpayment if you previously had no taxes due to that state. But this mught mean you have a pretty big tax bill due in April. Starting the second year you should pay quarterly estimated taxes if you owe them, or you run the risk of facing a late payment interest charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state [ 1 Answers ]

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state?

Paying state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I work in PA, live in MD, do I have to have PA state taxes deducted from my pay

Paying out of state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NYC but we live in NJ. His W2 shows only NJ taxes. Should we have paid NYC taxes? How do we fix this? Thanks

Paying two state taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I work in a different state than I live in, do I have to pay taxes in both states?

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

View more questions Search