Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rashana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
    Are farm fresh eggs more watery than store bought eggs? Is the yolk a pale yellow?
    I buy my eggs from a local farmer. But the white is runnier than the ones I buy at the store and the yolks are pale yellow almost white. Does that mean he's storing them or that he's feeding them something different.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 09:00 AM

I'm not sure if it depends on what kind of hen he has and what he's feeding them (it probably does), but I have a little black hen that lays brown eggs, and the yolk from these is a vibrant yellow, almost orange, and definitely not a 'runny' white.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Sep 14, 2010, 03:18 PM

A fresh egg will have a thicker white than an older egg. A really fresh egg may have a slightly cloudy white.

A good way to test how fresh an egg is, is to drop it gently in a bowl of water. A really fresh egg will sink to the bottom and lie on its side. A less fresh, but still edible, egg will stand upright. An egg that floats and doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl is best thrown away.

The colour of the yolk depends on the diet of the hens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do farm fresh eggs keep? [ 19 Answers ]

We got a dozen eggs from our neighbor, his father's chickens had produced more than they could all use. I'm wondering how long I can expect them to last - and how long is too long for keeping them. Also, is there a way to tell when an egg has gone bad? Thank you!

Eggs [ 4 Answers ]

How long does it take to boil an egg? (I can never get it right)

Farm Fresh Eggs [ 1 Answers ]

What is the shelf life of farm fresh eggs as opposed to store bought eggs?

Farm fresh eggs [ 1 Answers ]

How long can washed farm fresh eggs be kept at room temperature?

Eggs [ 2 Answers ]

This might sound stupid,but does anyone know how long it takes to boil a perfect egg? Thanks.

View more questions Search