Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FoxCash Posts: 160, Reputation: 125

Sep 9, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Tylenol or Advil?
    This morning after work I managed to injure myself because I'm an idiot. I was running and fell. My chin broke my fall.

I ended up going to the ER got 5 stitches in my chin, scrapes on both hands and a huge scrape on my knee.

They didn't give me any pain meds and I don't like the stronger medications anyway but what will help ease the pain now?

I thought I had some Tylenol around the house but I can't find it. Will Tylenol or Advil work and if so which one? Or if there's something else that's over the counter that's better?

Also does anyone know what I can do for the scrape on my knee it doesn't hurt much when walking except when my pant leg scrapes against it. I have to return to work tomorrow and cannot wear shorts. Is it okay to wrap a scraped knee?

I appreciate any help and I know I should have asked while in the ER but honestly I just wanted to get the heck out of there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 06:54 AM

For the scraped knee... Bandage it with 4x4 gauze if the scrape isn't too large.

For the pain... Tylenol, Advil or Motrin would work.

Ouch... sorry you had to go through this. You aren't an idiot, on Memorial Day my 8 year old pulled my chair out from under me as I was trying to sit down at a party with a ton of people... you want to talk about embarrassing!

Sep 9, 2010, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the reply I just never knew if there was a significant difference with all OTC medications when using them to relieve some of the pain.

Sorry to hear about your fall as well that would have been embarrassing as well.

I know things like this happen but it's still embarrassing, specially when it was caught on security cameras.

But thanks for giving me direction.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 07:02 AM

Go get some Neosporin and some huge bandages for your knee. You can overwrap the bandages with an Ace bandage to help with the rubbing.

I am recovering from surgery, and have taken only two days worth of narcotic pain meds. For the last two months, I have been taking 800 mg Motrin, which is prescription strength. Over the counter doses are 200mg, but my doctor said I could take three or four even if the pain requires it. Remember, with food.

Some people say Tylenol, some say Motrin. I think Motrin works best for me.

Mederma works good for scar prevention too (chin). They have generic brands that are cheaper.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sep 9, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    For the last two months, I have been taking 800 mg Motrin, which is prescription strength. Over the counter doses are 200mg, but my doctor said I could take three or four even if the pain requires it. Remember, with food.
    Would this be okay for myself to do or no? I ended up picking up Motrin since both you and J_9 mentioned it. I started with 2 for now.

Also, is it common to bleed from stitches a little? It's not gushing and looks like it's blood mixed with the Neosporin.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxCash View Post
    Would this be okay for myself to do or no? I ended up picking up Motrin since both you and J_9 mentioned it. I started with 2 for now.

Also, is it common to bleed from stitches a little? It's not gushing and looks like it's blood mixed with the Neosporin.
    I can't say for you, ask your doctor, but try the 400mg dose for now. J_9 can help you the "leakage".
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 05:39 PM

600mg - 800mg is perfectly fine. And yes, the slight bleeding is common. You might want to let it dry to air for a little bit though.

Sep 14, 2010, 08:35 AM

Would it be okay to pull the stitches out myself?

I still have a few more days to go before they said they'd need to come out. The area really doesn't hurt at all just itches.

Just trying to keep all medical bills related to this at a minimum since I can only imagine what the ambulance ride is going to cost me.
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Would it be okay to pull the stitches out myself?
    No, there are reasons the doc wants to take them out. Proper healing is only one reason.

Sep 19, 2010, 08:56 AM

Stitches are out! I tried to remove them myself (I know, I know) but luckily for myself they were to tiny and I just couldn't do it. The ER took them out and it really doesn't hurt.

Couple of concerns still the skin where the stitches were feels weird to the touch almost like it's got a thin smooth scab over it. Is there anything besides washing it that will get rid of it or will it come in time?

Also, noticed my chin still hurts not as much as it did but still a little. Could it be that it's just bruised slightly still?

The knee is finally doing better doesn't hurt as much and there's not much of a limp when I walk.

Thanks for all the advice given to me so far.

Dec 3, 2010, 04:00 PM

It seems that not all of my stitches were removed. A few weeks ago I noticed the tail of the thread under my chin and was and the knot of the thread at the top of the cut.

The tail is no longer there now but the knot still is. I haven't yet mustered up the courage to try and pull it out and was just wondering if this is doing any harm being left in there all this time?

I read somewhere that usually a stitch left in will work it's way out on it's own but I don't see that happening with this one.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
    It seems that not all of my stitches were removed. A few weeks ago I noticed the tail of the thread under my chin and was and the knot of the thread at the top of the cut.

The tail is no longer there now but the knot still is. I haven't yet mustered up the courage to try and pull it out and was just wondering if this is doing any harm being left in there all this time?

I read somewhere that usually a stitch left in will work it's way out on it's own but I don't see that happening with this one.
    I wouldn't PULL it out. I would get some really small scissors and try to cut the stitch near the knot. Pull it out by grabbing the knot.

Use alcohol. (Rubbing, not grain.)

I would contact the doctor if you have any problems doing this. It IS an oversight on their part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Over the counter advil versus prescription [ 2 Answers ]

Is their any difference between taking a 8mg prescription advil, or 4 200mg over the counter advil tablets

Tylenol PM [ 7 Answers ]

Can Tylenol pm be addicting ? Because my body needs it every night. I can't sleep without it.:confused: And also What can I do to go to sleep without taking any pills. I really don't want to be depending on pills. Please Help Thanks.

Had too much tylenol [ 1 Answers ]

So I was very depressed last night and called my friend but she wasn't available and then for some stupid reason I decided to take half a bottle of tylenol I'm not sure how many I took because I just emptied the bottle it could've been 20 or so but nothing has happened to me so far except I get...

Advil and Cough Syrup [ 1 Answers ]

My ovulation started on the 5-9th of dec my husband and I had sex all through.On Sunday the 10th I was down with a flu the doctor prescribed advil for me and cough syrup.I have been taking it though,I want to know if is okay can it affect me conceiving

View more questions Search