Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bella8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
    what does it cost to move a mobile home 150 miles from one area to another in Ohio
    I have a single 60 x 85' mobile home needing moved to new location.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2010, 10:41 AM

My educated guess would be about $12-$15,000. I used to work at a manufactured home dealership and had to make such arrangements for home owners.

First the home must be professionally taken apart and made ready for transport over the road. Or if it is a single wide home the home must still be professionally redied for transport. The site where the home is to be placed must be professionally redied as well. And you must get a professional Ohio Mobile Home Inspector to inspect the system in the ground that will be built to place your home on. And all permits to move the home telling the new county you are placing the home in their county for tax purposes. The movers need this permit otherwise legally they cannot move the home over the roadways. Also the Ohio MH Inspector will have to inspect the water, sewer and electrical hook ups as well as the stairs to each door, etc. and give the house a final "seal". This inspection will end up costing you several hundred dollars as well. That cost cannot be negotiated as they legally must inspect how the home is placed and hooked up, etc. There are new laws in Ohio that apply to old as well as new mobile homes being placed. It is basically for your own protection and to ensure that "mom and pop" are not out there moving their home and having it incorrectly hooked up only to burn to the ground from a faulty wire up job.

May I sugest you go to a mobile home dealer and get an estimate. You need to remember estimates do not mean that the cost will be exactly that. There are many unseen costs involve that can make a huge difference in the end. Also, if you contract your own plumber and your own electrician to do the final hook up work you can save money as well. The dealer can contact a reliable house mover as there are not that many left here in Ohio since the MH industry took a hard hit 2 years ago.

If you have a single home versus a double wide (as the descrption you gave of 60X85 is not a single wide home) the cost would be around $5-$9,000.

Start to finish this job will take at least 2 months to fully complete taking into consideration the weather which is one of the main factors in Ohio. Sometimes less time but from my personal experience I can definitely see a two month time frame.
    essjay Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 17, 2011, 02:08 PM
    More like about One thousand at the most for a single-wide including getting it road worthy and dropped at the site (no set-up)

Many independent truckers do this.

I had a mobil home franchise (Fleetwood) six years ago. It sost me under $2000.00 to bring both halves from the factory a couple hundred miles away. Set up was extra and costlier that trucking.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    More like about One thousand at the most for a single-wide including getting it road worthy and dropped at the site (no set-up)

Many independent truckers do this.

I had a mobil home franchise (Fleetwood) six years ago. It sost me under $2000.00 to bring both halves from the factory a couple hundred miles away. Set up was extra and costlier that trucking.
    I am in Ohio. Sorry but "many independent truckers do this" is incorrect. A mobile home moving service must be properly licensed, insured to move homes and get the proper paperwork to move it and place it in another county. There also has to be a mandatory accompanying flag car. And not that many home movers do anything other than move homes. The home movers I used only moved homes and nothing else. They were always booked solid by the way with a long waiting list. A lot has changed in the six years since you had a dealership. The price is incorrect as well since you were paying only for the actual home move at a reduced professional price. If the home was new from the factory and just dropped at the site you were charged a much lower rate than a regular person would pay. Sorry. Your info is/was outdated and incorrect as it did not include the prep cost for the home or the lot prep at the other end plus the mobile home inspection performed by the Ohio MH Inspector. That inspection is now mandatory in Ohio as has been since 2009. It is for the safety of the new homeowner even if the home is not new. If it has been moved, it must be inspected. The inspection makes sure all the utilities are properly hooked up and the proper steps and landings are at each door opening. This keeps the "mom and pop"s of the country from doing this themselves and having stuff hooked up wrong, etc. (which is quite common here in Ohio).

About 2006 when I wanted to move my single MH I was quoted a price of $3,000 just to hook up to the home with a truck.
    essjay Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 24, 2011, 07:54 PM
    I'll concede partly... In six years, a lot of things can change. The independents that I knew moved single-wides as a part-time specialty.

The question was "how much would it cost to "move". I took that literally ... move means move ... not prep, hooking up utilities, etc., etc. I don't think that too many people would think that setup, inspections, utilty hookups, etc., are the cost of "moving".

But for what it's worth the actual moving cost is the least of what it will cost to get it liveable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost moving mobile home [ 9 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what it cost to move a mobile home in Florida?

Can a mobile home be to old to move [ 4 Answers ]

We are renting a trailer that is in a mobile home park in North Carolina. We have the possibility of buying but don't want to stay in the park forever. The trailer was built in 1982 or 83. Is it too old to move?

Cost to move mobile home trailer home in Missouri [ 7 Answers ]

How much does it cost to move a used single or double wide mobile home in Missouri, specifically near St. Louis and Jefferson Counties? We are looking around at used trailers for sale and can't decide if we want to buy one that's a good deal on sale price a little farther away and have it moved...

How to move pipes in mobile home or trailer [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a double wide trailer and are wanting to take out our garden tube and tile in a shower there. How can we move the pipes to accomidate use for a shower installation? I would like to know if anyone has done this before or seen it done. We are wanting to make sure we do it right. Any help...

150% Rent increases in mobile home park [ 1 Answers ]

My mother lives in a mobile home park in Villa Ridge, Missouri and the day before Thanksgiving she got a notice that they are increasing her pad rent 150% beginning in January. That seems like there should be something that prevents them from more than doubling her rent. Is there anything to...

View more questions Search