Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CindyCosta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Paid internship no taxes being withheld from paychecks. What taxes am I liable for?
    I graduated college in May, 2010 and have accepted a paid intership through December 31, 2010. I am getting paychecks every two weeks for the amount of hours worked with no taxes being withheld. What taxes am I liable for?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 12:37 PM

FICA, Medicare for starters... no free ride on those, depending on where you live you may have local wage taxes, State income tax, and Federal income tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 02:05 PM
    You are being paid as an independent contractor, which means you have to file Schedule C and SE (with Form 1040) to report that income.

The GOOD NEWS is you can deduct a lot of your expenses associated with working on the internship.

The BAD NEWS is that, inaddition ot federal and state INCOME taxes, you will owe SELF-EMPLOYMENT TAX at a 15.3% rate of the net income from the Schedule C.
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Sep 8, 2010, 07:04 PM
    QUOTE," paid internship no taxes being withheld from paychecks. What taxes am I liable for?"---Just for reference, if you are claimed as a dependent by your parents, then the incoem is reported asother income on your tax rerturn. And you will have a tax liability on the excess of your income over your standard deduction.
    But if not, then you are being treated as an independent contractor as explained above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much taxes I need to paid for an internship at WA [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Recently I got a job offer for an engineering internship at WA for 6 months. I am not a US resident and this will be the first time I am going to be at US. I am from Mexico. This is an internship with no medical, nor dental or any other kind of benefits. Only the paid. I only know...

Internship on J1 visa & taxes, be paid as a contractor. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have just read on this website that people performing curriculum practical training are not subject to paying taxes (Social Security & Medicare) while on J1 visa. I'd like to know if the rule applying for CPT is the same as for internships? Can the employer pay a non-resident...

Taxes for a J-1 visa paid internship [ 1 Answers ]

My current wife came to the US last year on a J-1 visa and worked as an in house intern to help with her College Degree. We got married in December and are in the process of trying to get her a green card. Her internship was paid, but only $600 per month and totaling about $10K for the year. ...

Problems with taxes withheld, but not paid! [ 2 Answers ]

I have been working for a physician's office since August 2005. Since then, I have received a W-2 for each filing year since. However, this year I had a few problems and found out a few things. First, when I asked my employer for my w-2 in late January, I was told by him to "get a 1099 form and...

Taxes withheld from our paychecks [ 2 Answers ]

What is the purpose of collecting taxes from our weekly paycheck?

View more questions Search