Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steph84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2003, 11:31 AM
    What kind of caterpillaris this?
    Hello everyone!

It has been a long time since I looked you up and see that the site has changed and really grown :)

Now for question:
    What kind of caterpillar is about three inches long, the size of a person's thumb, looks like a rolled up leaf, has faint off white chevrons on body and one tan colored horn about 3/8" long, large round and very fat feet colored a lighter green than the body?

He/she was found on damp soil (after a hard rain) near some Lady Banks roses, Zinnias, Sacred Datura and a mish-mash of 'butterfly attracters' located in central Arizona at about mid-morning and at about 80 degrees, today, October 11.

Thank you in advance!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2003, 03:22 PM
    Re: What kind of caterpillaris this?
    I saw your question and have been hoping somebody would answer it. I looked in my butterfly and moth book, but couldn't find anything. Caterpillars are often listed under the butterfly or moth they turn into.

Perhaps you could ask your county extension agent. Look in your phone book under government listings for extension or cooperative extension offices.

I am sorry nobody here answered your question.

Oct 15, 2003, 11:38 AM
    What kind of caterpillaris this?
    Dear labman,

Thank you for your reply! I was not sure my question had posted. I saw one feeding and have since found...

It is a Manduca quinquemaculata. Also known by the names of Tomato Hornworm and Five Spotted Sphinx Moth caterpillar.

It becomes the Hawk Moth with a wing span of about four inches, a proboscis four inches long and is often mistaken for a hummingbird. (Good text can be found at http://aznps.org/pdf_files/September2003.PDF and good pictures are at http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/f...ca_quinqu.html

It feeds on Datura metaloides, also known as Sacred Datura and Jimpson weed, which just appeared in my yard this year and has grown enthusiastically (must use loppers to keep open path to front door :)).

We are enjoying them very much and are eagerly awaiting 'act three'.

Yours.
    Steph84
    singlecell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2004, 07:49 AM
    I just found of these on my "tomatoe bush", eating it up quite well. I know that all things feed all things, would I want to leave it be and let it devour my bush or should I catch it and let it go somewhere else?

Please help!?

May 29, 2004, 10:35 AM
    I just found of these on my "tomatoe bush", eating it up quite well. I know that all things feed all things, would I want to leave it be and let it devour my bush or should I catch it and let it go somewhere else?

Please help!?
    Dear singlecell,

I let my Tomatoe Hornworms stay on the Datura so that we could enjoy the moth form. Well, they never showed up... here. They all went next door and were feeding, just like hummingbirds from my neighbor's plants which have lots of red and yellow trumpet shaped flowers. So, next time I will be sure to have those planted close by so that we can watch them. They are so big I was just sure that they could not be the hawkmoth but indeed they were.

About moving them... do you have another plant for them to eat? I did not try moving them but this is an interesting idea. Datura is a weed here (and off the scale poisenous) so I did not care if the plant was damaged. Tomatoe plants are another story though... let me know how things turn out.

Yours,
    Steph84

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

Just starting... kind of [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I've been dating my boyfriend for over 9 months and we just started to have sex, let me think, a month ago. Now here's what I am confused about and need help in: I haven't had an orgasm... not even close and we've had sex over 15 times. I'm guessing this isn't enough? It still hurt until...

Some kind of anxiety in my lab? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just moved to a new place, and our 7 month old lab has started acting a little strangely. She doesn't really act this way when I'm home, but my husband tells me that when I leave she'll run around the house, then go into the room he's in, whine, and back out of the room. And...

What kind of insulation? [ 9 Answers ]

Have insulation in walls and attic that is contained in a package that easily punctures and when opened reveals a brown kind of sawdust? Anyone know what this is? I think it is useless for the walls as it settles making it useful for only the lower 1-3 feet of walls. House was built in the 60's.

What kind of Ivy is this? [ 5 Answers ]

I am having some problems with my ivy plant, but I'm not sure what kind of ivy it is, or if it is even truly ivy at all. Can anyone identify it for me? Also the problem is that it is getting white/tan translucent spots with dark brown edges as well as some leaves have edges that are turning dark...

View more questions Search