Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khadka Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Furnace burner does not stay long and goes out
    My furnace burner does not stay long. I had my pilot light goes out. I lit the pilot light and it works. And as soon as I put the wall thermostat on ON position for heat, I can see the burner starts with the normal flame. But after 30 seconds burner flame goes off as well the pilot light goes out too.
    Somebody told me to change the thermocouple. I did not. Isn't the thermocouple for the pilot light if the pilot light does not remains lit?
    Please help
    Thanks
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 09:37 PM
    The thermocouple is a bi-metal appliance that when heated creates a small amount of electricity. This power then holds open a electro-magnet valve that keeps the pilot burning and allows the main burner to open, when called for, as long as the thermocouple is hot. These deteriorate from all the heat and need to be replaces at times.
    This may not be your problem but it is a good place to start.
    mark burns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
    Bad flame sensor.sometimes you can clean it with a file.do not use sandpaper. Residue from the sandpaper will leave a film on the sensor.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
    I`ve never known anyone to use a file on flame sensor,, I use steel wool,, most older furnaces that have pilot lights ,that I`ve worked on don`t have flame sensors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How long does vicodin stay in your system? [ 6 Answers ]

How long does it take for vicodin to be out of your system?

Oil furnace, Burner cuts out [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, my original post was over a noisy draft regulator. Since then I have determined the cause of the regulator banging was the burner going out. This only occurs for a fraction of a second, just little pulses. I changed my in-line fuel filter and my burner nozzle. When I remove the inspection cover...

Furnace won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my furnace to stay on unless I have it all the way up. I just replaced the thermostat what could be wrong

How long must they stay? [ 1 Answers ]

What period must I allow my tenants to 'stay' in my residence after being served with an eviction notice for non-payment of rent? Is the time frame the same throughout the State of Texas or does it vary by county?

Oil Burner Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The problem goes like this. Thermostat calls for heat, burner starts and runs for a minute or so and shuts off. After burner shuts off, the blower starts and the burner starts again until the thermostat reaches temp and the burner shuts off blower contiues to run until the low temp limit is...

View more questions Search