Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duh101 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Drama/Monologue
    I have to do a Monologue about "its time to go on a holiday and many weeks have been spent planning this holiday and everyone is so exited" Anyway you have to talk about this holdiday but it doesn't have to be all about it. And I am having trouble coming up with a character.
    Help and Ideas would be good.Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 08:44 PM

A grumbling grandpa.

A mom who is worried about keeping everyone looking neat and clean and happy under extreme circumstances (no washer/dryer, no vacuum, everyone trapped inside a car together for hours at a time, no refrigerator for snacks and drinks, etc.).

A dog who has been brought along, and he'd rather have gone to a puppy hotel (kennel).

Sep 11, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    I need some tips of how to act and what to say if I'd play the grandpa/grandma
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by duh101 View Post
    Thanks
    I need some tips of how to act and what to say if i'd play the grandpa/grandma
    Dress up like an old man.

Do you have a grandfather or know of a friend with a grandfather? Interview the grandfather for ideas, such as he left his pills at home on his nightstand and he has to use the bathroom every half hour so Dad has to stop the car somewhere and the sun is always in his eyes and...

Sep 11, 2010, 08:04 PM

Any quotes or sayings I could use? What was the best bit of the holiday?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 08:18 PM

If you Google "grandfather quotes" (without quote marks), you'll get a bunch of sites that list quotes about grandparents.

What do you mean about the "best bit"?

Sep 11, 2010, 08:24 PM

I need to talk about something that could be the main thing that happened on the holiday?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 08:27 PM

The main thing could be funny or scary or tragic or exciting. Which do you want? Do you want Grandpa to be the hero or the star?

Sep 11, 2010, 08:33 PM

Funny and star thanks
    I just need some help to getting started
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 08:41 PM

Let me think on this for a while. I'm musing about Grandpa's dentures or a false front tooth or his forgetfulness and what a funny situation that could be or something about his clothing. Give me a couple of hours. I'll eat a cupcake or two for inspiration.

Sep 11, 2010, 08:44 PM

OK thanks
    Oh yum eat one for me too. I love cupcakes :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 09:08 PM

No cupcakes yet.

How about this:

The family, as usual, takes both Grandpa and Grandma on vacation with them. Throughout the trip, Grandpa and Grandma, as usual, bicker and argue and poke each other and drive the rest of the family nuts. (You can spend time talking about different things the family does and how G&G argue about money or the food or clothes or the destination or how the bed was too hard or whatever.) Finally, at the end of the trip, the family decides to split up at a theme park/resort area and do various things. G&G decide to take one of the scenic helicopter rides, but both of them are real cheapskates.

The ride is $50. Hoping to get a discount, they told the pilot that they're in their 80s and didn't have much longer to live, so would he give them a deal. The pilot had heard them squabbling while they were waiting in line, so he told G&G, "I'll make you a deal. I'll take you for a ride. If you can be quiet for the entire ride and not say ONE word, I won't charge you anything! But if you say ONE word, it's 50 dollars."

G&G agreed. After all, 50 dollars is 50 dollars. They climbed into the helicopter, fastened their seatbelts, and up they went. The pilot did all kinds of fancy maneuvers, but G&G didn't say a word. The pilot did his daredevil tricks over and over again -- wild spins and bouncing up and down and even flying upside down -- but G&G didn't utter a word, not ONE word! After all, 50 dollars is 50 dollars.

When they landed, the pilot looked back at Grandpa and said, "I did everything I could to get you to yell out, but you two didn't say one single word. I'm really impressed!"

Grandpa replied, "Well, I almost said something when Grandma fell out, but, 50 dollars is 50 dollars."

It was a quiet ride home from vacation that year.

Sep 11, 2010, 11:10 PM

Haha oh wow thanks so much. Did you just come up with that! Thanks so much
    Its so good
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 11:14 PM

I found it here:

Will and Guy's humour, Funny short story

And rewrote it for you. I'm a writer, so it was fun. I never do someone's homework, but there's still a lot for you to work on, to set up the story and fill in the rest.

How long does it have to be? Would it be from Grandpa's point of view?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 11:38 PM

Remember, it's a monologue -- from one person's point of view, one person telling the story.

Let me know how your audience received it and how you did.

Sep 12, 2010, 11:34 PM

I'am presenting it in the next two days :S And it is from grandma's point of view cause I am better acting a girl. But grandpa needs to survive somehow so can you think of something what he landed on maybe hay or something. And it has to go for 2-3mins.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by duh101 View Post
    grandpa needs to survive somehow
    Hmmm, let me think.

Why does G'pa have to survive? Can you end it with the 50 dollars comment?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 11:49 PM

How about just ending it with the 50 dollars comment and let your audience worry about G'pa.

If you explain too much or make the story any longer, you'll kill the impact of the joke.

Sep 13, 2010, 02:37 PM

True OK.

Sep 13, 2010, 02:38 PM

(Come on stage)I’m going to tell you a story. (Sits down) One day a long long time ago, last week Me and Grandpa gerald went on a holiday with my family. We went to this Land Disney place and it was like nothing I had ever seen. Cause back when I was a little one we never had any of those fancy pantsy theme parks back in my day we had a whole 20c to spend at the fair and that was like Christmas. Anyway in the car ride Gerald (shout) had some bladder problems isn’t that right Gerald (go behind stage and be Gerald) Yes yes Betty -May you leave me alone (Betty-hahah fool) Anyway where was I? Oh yes I was saying about Land Disney. Gerald and I wanted to go on a heli... copter ride but it was very expensive and us being old pensioners we couldn’t afford $50 for a ride. But then the Pilot came over and said we could come on for free on the condition that we didn’t say one word during the flight and if we did then we’d have to pay $50 so we agreed. And off we went and we got on the copter thing and it was scary and we didn’t say one word. Then the pilot turned around and said I am really impressed you didn’t say one word and then I said to the man I nearly said a something when Grandpa Gerald fell out. In the end Gerald had landed on the kiddies pen on hay. (whisper darn that)

That's what I have :L

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby mama drama and friend drama [ 28 Answers ]

So my boyfriend and I have been dating just for a little bit. We are so happy together when we with each other and I really care about him a lot. There is a couple down sides though to this relationship. He has a baby mama who is crazy like literally crazy. They haven't been together for about half...

Need to write a dramatic monologue(poetry) for class but I have writer's block [ 4 Answers ]

Every time I write something I end up crumbling it up and trying to start all over again. Its very frustrating. The other aspect of this poem that makes it difficult is that I have to record myself reading it on tape, which will be evaluated by my teacher as a final exam. Help!!

Monologue for audition [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know a good monologue I could practice for an audition? My school is writing their own play and I would love to be in it,but they're requiring our own monologue and I want one that will leave them speechless, it all depends on how I perform of course but a good one would help, thanks!

Think of a character for my monologue? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm finding it hard to get inspired for a monologue I have to do in drama. I need to come up with one that goes for about 5 to 7 minutes, has to include some non-naturalistic elements and has something to do with slander. I want something interesting... something that won't bore everyone to...

View more questions Search