Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Free websites
    Due to the not so recent downturn in the economy my husband has become unemployed. As most of you know, we have lost a multi million dollar business.

On the bright side, he has the opportunity to work at home as there are very few gunsmiths who can do what he does. What we are looking for right now is a way to find a free website and design it to build his business, but I haven't a clue as to how to go about it.

Can anyone help us?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2010, 07:18 PM

J I'll bet CalDad would know.
    naidra Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 07:43 PM
    There are a bunch of websites that allow you to build and design your own content. Weebly.com and wix.com are really easy and cool. I created 2 weebly sites for free here: http://invictusenterprises.weebly.com, and www.naidra.com.

You can link them to a domain later (like I did the naidra.com site), or just keep the weebly/wix extension.

Both sites are really easy to set up. They're pretty much drag and drop. They give templates and have features like flash, RSS, comment boxes, etc.

I hope that helped!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 01:04 AM
    Hi, J_9!

I'm sorry that this has happened to you and your husband!

What would you like for you and/or people to be able to do on the website, please? Most of my business for the things that I do for a living come from the websites and advertising that I've placed on the Internet. I literally get calls from around the United States for the services that I'm able to provide for people.

I can get on the first page of a Google search within minutes concerning what I do, where I do it, (or, want to be able to provide the type of service that I'm promoting, if it's not just around where I live.) I've been doing that for a number of years now. None of that has ever cost me any money. By the way, not all free advertising sites or free websites get the best exposure when people do searches for things, no matter how well they're worded or the promotional tools used that are available to promote the websites or what is on a free advertising site.

Thanks!
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    What would you like for you and/or people to be able to do on the website, please? Most of my business for the things that I do for a living come from the websites and advertising that I've placed on the Internet. I literally get calls from around the United States for the services that I'm able to provide for people.
    Thanks Clough. Luckily we are positive enough to see that when one door closes another opens up!

Now, we are basically just trying to advertise his services as a master gunsmith. So it would be very much like what you do with your websites.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 01:55 PM

Also don't forget that if you have a major carrier for your isp they normally provide you with space also. You might want to check that. What exactly is it that he can do that is special? I belong to several private gun boards. That way I can let them know.

You may want to offer other things too and catalouge order items so you don't have to carry inventory. Like through davidsons (provided he didn't give up his FFL) He may want to start a board of his own drawing people in. Like specialty collectables etc. Im sure he can find a niche in all that is out there.
    If you need any help don't hesitate to ask.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Also dont forget that if you have a major carrier for your isp they normally provide you with space also.
    How do you do that? We have Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What exactly is it that he can do that is special? I belong to several private gun boards. That way I can let them know.

You may want to offer other things too and catalouge order items so you dont have to carry inventory. Like through davidsons (provided he didnt give up his FFL) He may want to start a board of his own drawing people in. Like specialty collectables etc. Im sure he can find a niche in all that is out there.
    If you need any help dont hesitate to ask.
    Unfortunately we are not selling guns from the home. He does have his own FFL though and I'm sure he could order and drop ship guns.

His specialty is in trigger jobs... dang ANYTHING that has to do with gun repair. He is a Master Gunsmith after all. ;)

If you have a brokeded gun and want it fixed he can do it. If you want to gussy up your gun, he's the man.

In the end... he can do it all. He's even built one from scratch.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 02:51 PM

For a website engine, you can't go wrong with WordPress.

This started as a blogging engine but has exploded into a full-fledged website with user security, a robust content-management system and there's even a plugin to integrate shopping carts with USPS and UPS integration. It's also themeable and extendable and super-easy to user. And all of it's open source.

Installing WordPress is very easy. All you need is a web server with PHP running and access to a MySQL database server.

There are free webhosts out there as well. Just Google for them and you will find one. ByteHost is one that I know off the top of my head. But, if you plan on doing business through this website, bear in mind that all these free hosts have very screwy TOS and usually reserve the right to terminate service without warning. I'd strongly suggest buying webspace so you can avoid this, which can be as cheap as $5.00 a month. You should still read the TOS, but chances are slim they'd arbitrarily blow away your site if you're paying for it.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    Installing WordPress is very easy. All you need is a web server with PHP running and access to a MySQL database server.
    That's greek to me. :o
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That's greek to me. :o
    That's no problem. They're just webhost requirements for WordPress.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 03:02 PM

Okay, I think I'm going to go with Wordpress or what Comcast gives me.

I might need some help though.

Anyone willing to help with my questions along the way?
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 03:04 PM

Okay, if I'm using Wordpress it looks like I have to find a host. Are there any free ones?
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Anyone willing to help with my questions along the way?
    Gladly.

ByteHost. This is free, and has PHP and MySQL.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 03:58 PM
    How do you do that? We have Comcast.

Unfortunately we are not selling guns from the home. He does have his own FFL though and I'm sure he could order and drop ship guns.

His specialty is in trigger jobs...dang ANYTHING that has to do with gun repair. He is a Master Gunsmith after all. ;)

If you have a brokeded gun and want it fixed he can do it. If you want to gussy up your gun, he's the man.

In the end...he can do it all. He's even built one from scratch.
    I understand what your saying. Its just some smiths out there have a speciality like AR's or 1911's. That's why I asked.

I don't see website hosting as part of your package. Just online storage and such.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 04:38 PM

This is what I have CDad.

PWP - splash

One of his specialties is Colt custom trigger jobs. He was a warranty service for Browning and Winchester when we had the shop.

I'll have to ask him about his other specialties though.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 05:28 PM

PWP - splash

One of his specialties is Colt custom trigger jobs. He was a warranty service for Browning and Winchester when we had the shop.

Great. I guess they wouldn't let me see it since I have a different provider ;)
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 11:45 PM
    I'll be around for awhile yet tonight, J_9, just in case you might be available and interested in some help with getting the best exposure and starting a website.

It's very possible for what your husband wants to make money at doing could be found on searches easily within minutes.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 05:19 AM

PWP - splash

You can build a website with this builder from Comcast, but it's all canned. If you want to do anything that it doesn't offer you're SOL.

If this is all you need, go with this 'cause it's going to be the easiest solution.
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I'll be around for awhile yet tonight, J_9, just in case you might be available and interested in some help with getting the best exposure and starting a website.

It's very possible for what your husband wants to make money at doing could be found on searches easily within minutes.
    That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for Clough. Slapshot has given me the beginnings of designing it... I think (haven't really had the time to go over it), but I need to know how to get it to pop and get it to the tops of the search engines.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 02:24 AM
    I think that we need to plan a time to be on here at the same time if you and I are going to be able to succeed in doing any brain-storming, J_9!

There are numerous places where a person can have a website for free. Some of them will also allow people to use their own templates. Although, most of the ready-made templates that I've seen available have been good and using them can save a lot of time with not having to create your own.

When I have a website, I like it to be really good looking and very functional for what I and/or others might do with it. Planning that out can take time... I'm very picky, and so are some of the best places for having free websites.

I've started many websites. Some for me as well as other people. Some of them concerning my businesses are incomplete. But, at least the most pertinent information is on all of them until I have the time to really develop them

My goal is to get my businesses exposed "out there" as quickly as possible. Putting together a website is something that I consider to be a necessity, but doesn't necessarily mean that I'll get the exposure that I want right away.

I would like to also think that the goal of you and your husband would be, like me, to get the information "out there", exposed the best and available for people to use as quickly as possible. Putting together a website right away doesn't mean that the website will be immediately available in searches, unlike other methods that can be used for getting the information exposed.

I hope that I'm making sense, because it's really late for me right now!

Please let me know when you'll be on here again. I think that we're about an hour apart in time zones and I'm sure that at the moment, my schedule is much more flexible than yours since the only place that I'm really employed is at a church on Sunday mornings to be the musician.

I also plan on starting even another new business soon. I can show you with that how I get it exposed very quickly and beat all or at least a good portion of the competition where I intend to do the particular kind of work that I'm planning to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free People Finder Websites [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for some free people search websites. Can anybody give me a comprehensive list of these sites? Also, can anybody provide me with sites that let me know if someone has died? Thanks.

Free movie websites? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can watch free movies online without downloading them or registering for a website?

Free poker websites [ 9 Answers ]

Are there any poker websites that are free. And you wouldn't loose any money or gain any.

Know Any Websites With Some Free mp3s? [ 1 Answers ]

This Is Tha First question I everasked on this site: Does Anyone know Some Websies I Can go on where I can go to download free mp3s With no credit card required besides downloads.knsider.com??

View more questions Search