Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 04:27 AM

Not really... Well, give me the day to think of the name of one that I just remembered.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 04:30 AM
    If you do a search for those that do gun smithing in your state, what comes up?
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 04:32 AM

Can't do it right now Clough. I have to give report to the oncoming nurse in about 5 minutes. Have to sign off.

Now, go get some sleep. LOL
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 04:34 AM
    You're correct about getting some sleep! Can hardly think right now!

If you have the time and are able, would you please help on the following thread sometime?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mental...lf-506364.html

Later, then...

Thanks!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 01:00 PM

How about calling his website:

"First on Point"
    Slogan: Gun control is hitting the target!

Master Gunsmithing services and accessories.

Also the initials are FOP ;)

Hint hint.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 06:27 PM

Some sites won't let a person change their ads, and they might not let a person know that.
    It's funny that you should say that, because this Hoobly place doesn't let you know anything at all. There is nothing there telling you what the site is, who runs it, how it works, how to use it, etc. It doesn't tell you whether you can or cannot change your ads, so I'm not sure how one can comment about other sites that don't tell you.

The only thing that exists is an archive full of questions people have asked, and the only thing you can do is search through it and see if something you want to know happens to exist in there. At the bottom of the page where it says "about us" it only leads to a page that has a search sort of thing, instead of telling us "about them." Under the "guidelines" at the bottom of the page it leads to the same place instead of to the guidelines.

And the whole search thing is dysfunctional. All you can do is search the archives.

So there's no instructions anywhere, or anything that tells you what you can do or how to do it. Maybe there's something available once you log in, but you shouldn't have to register for a site before you can find out even the most basic of information about the site. And I see questions on the forums about the most basic of stuff, as though there just aren't any instructions anywhere at all. After all, the "guidelines" link only led to this forum thing and not to any actual guidelines.

Not to mention that the privacy policy says about nothing. They want an email to register, but don't say anything in the privacy policy about how it will be used, whether it'll show up in your ads where other people can see it, etc. So they want information from you without even telling you what they'll do with that information. And I see no TOS at all, so I guess you agree without seeing what you're agreeing to.

This site tells you absolutely nothing. The fact that you may know things about it doesn't change the fact that the site itself doesn't tell you anything.

I would never join a place that can't manage to tell me something about themselves or how they're planning to use the email I'm about to give them. I can't say as I have much respect for this. Sorry if you love the place, but really, when you're out there on the dangerous internet, such a lack of info is just not good.

Not to mention that I don't even see a way to register. From one page, it has a box pop up to log in, and says "log in/register" on it, but if you click that it just screams that the email is invalid and won't take you to a register. From another page there's a "sign in" and "sign up" at the top of the page. "Sign up" only brings up a box telling me I can sign in with my Facebook, Twitter, etc. account but doesn't actually go anywhere to "sign up." I've tried in two different browsers, even changing some of my privacy settings. It seems to be broken. (As a matter of fact, there's a question in those archives about troubling registering that never even got answered.)

Bad site and extremely amateurish. Sorry, but it is.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Oh whoa! Just for the heck of it, I decided to put in an email account to see if it would take it to a registration screen - like say "I don't recognize that, would you like to register?" or something like that. It screamed the password was wrong. So for the heck of it, I put in a password, expecting maybe the same sort of thing.

Next thing I know it says I'm now registered and signed in!! Without even telling me that it was going to do that. Without having me agree to any TOS. Without verifying that it was going to do it!

That wasn't a "registration." That was a hijack. So now I'm signed up when I didn't even want to be.

Damn good thing I used one of my junk emails. So tell me, how do you "unregister" for this place?

And now that I'm in, I see there's really nothing more here than when I wasn't registered. There's still no instructions or anything telling you anything.

Bad, bad site. Sorry, but it's just a bad, bad site.
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 06:36 PM

Thank you Morgaine for your insight. I never sign up to a new place with my actual email address. I always start with a throw away and change it later if need be. That's what I did last night.

I'm getting a little flustered with all of this. I'm not a technical person, nor do I actually have the time to sit down with hubby to do this together. I'm awake while he's asleep, etc.

I think I may put this on the back burner for a couple of weeks. Right now we have to finish with the business licenses that we don't have, meet with an accountant, etc.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
    Well, I did solve one thing. I add an email that was fake, which allowed me to delete the real one. Looks like that's about as close as I'm going to get to disappearing off there.

Not only is the "forum" thing dysfunctional, but there's no contact information. So you can't even try to get a hold of anyone at all.

That just sucks. Now I'm sorry I even bothered to go visit the place to start with, cause this whole thing just sucks.

Don't you get that websites that you sign up for shouldn't be this way??
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Oh yes, I always start with a throw-away as well - that's what I call my "junk account." Unless it's some place I fairly well trust and that also has some kind of security.

(Even this site doesn't have my main personal address. Which is a good thing, cause I once discovered that under certain skins, it shows in your profile - and my address was just sitting there for anyone to see and I never even knew it. That's exactly why I don't like registering for places without "full disclosure.")

And you're welcome for the "insight," though I was more just complaining about the place, not trying to give insight. LOL.

You could try Craigslist. They do at least have a real list of FAQs, though they're a little lacking in more detailed info.
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 06:47 PM

I think for the time being that we are just going to wait on this, as I said. Get all of the proper licensure prepared that we don't already have and then have another go at this.

He has many friends in many fields, maybe he could do work for a friend and trade services and that friend will build the website.

Just a thought.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Oh yes, I always start with a throw-away as well - that's what I call my "junk account." Unless it's some place I fairly well trust and that also has some kind of security.

(Even this site doesn't have my main personal address. Which is a good thing, cause I once discovered that under certain skins, it shows in your profile - and my address was just sitting there for anyone to see and I never even knew it. That's exactly why I don't like registering for places without "full disclosure.")

And you're welcome for the "insight," though I was more just complaining about the place, not trying to give insight. LOL.

You could try Craigslist. They do at least have a real list of FAQs, though they're a little lacking in more detailed info.
    Hoobly.com provides free classfied advertisment service in US & Canada.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
    I followed the link Clough gave. This doesn't exist there. And I shouldn't have to go to another website to find out - it should be directly on their site.

Doesn't change a thing I said one iota.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 09:13 PM

Sorry, califdad, that attitude wasn't really meant to be directed at you. The attitude is towards the site and just came out.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 12:28 AM
    Hi, morgaine300!

I don't know why you've written everything that you have about the site to which I posted the link, especially when I was trying to help someone with something about which I know a great deal. I've been advertising on the web for many years now. I've checked out probably most of the free advertising sites. One of the first thing that I do when I join a new one is to check out their privacy policy. I'm very careful about what I post anywhere on the Internet. I would never intentionally lead someone to something that wasn't okay to use.

Please also know that a lot of the free advertising sites aren't forums, like this site has. They aren't set up the same way as others in many respects. Hoobly.com for instance, isn't a site where having forums is one of the main purposes of the site. It's a place to advertise. For craigslist.org, forums are one of the main purposes of it. The content of some of those forums as well as ads that aren't moderated at all by craigslist.org has gotten craigslist in a lot of trouble in recent years.

I use craigslist.org and will say that most of the spam emails that I get come from using that site. But, since there's a craigslist that's local to my area, I do use it, because using it brings in business for me. The forums on craigslist have no interest for me. Therefore, I don't use them. I can't say that I've never gotten any spam by using hoobly.com, since I don't remember everything about emails I've been receiving for the years that I've been posting things on the Internet. I can say though, that I've never gotten any spam in at least the past couple of years, where it was directly stated in the spam email that they found my ad on hoobly.com I can't say that about craigslist.org

I also use local media sites that are free for people to post ads. When I try to help someone with learning how to get the best exposure on the Internet, I do so in certain steps. Hoobly.com is the best, legitimate advertising site that I've every encountered for a person to be able to post something and have it appear within minutes in searches.

Any site where people can join it is going to have it's foibles and problems. Ask Me Help Desk certainly has many weaknesses where the administration and owners are trying to make improvements. Here's one example: It been repeatedly stated in threads on this site that accounts aren't deleted.

I really see no reason for a rant about a site that I've recommended to someone, unless the person doing the ranting has been using the particular site for awhile and has sufficiently checked out the site enough to form a justifiable opinion.

Thanks!
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    I followed the link Clough gave. This doesn't exist there. And I shouldn't have to go to another website to find out - it should be directly on their site.

Doesn't change a thing I said one iota.
    I know it doesn't exist there and that's why I posted it. So its now part of the thread in case people have questions.

No offense taken.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 04:43 AM

This is a website I look to all the time and its free classifieds. This one is gun specific. Its both national and regional. Also has pretty cool deals.

ARMLIST - Page Not Found
    Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    This is a website I look to all the time and its free classifieds. This one is gun specific. Its both national and regional. Also has pretty cool deals.

ARMLIST - Page Not Found
    He might be interested in this. When I showed him Hoobly yesterday, he was not interested and asked me not to post anything there.

In the end, it is his decision as it is his business. All I can do is give him a list of opportunities.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    He might be interested in this. When I showed him Hoobly yesterday, he was not interested and asked me not to post anything there.

In the end, it is his decision as it is his business. All I can do is give him a list of opportunities.
    Here is another place he might like and they have a local section as well he can add himself to.

AR15.Com

He can look under "hometown" section and find the state he's in or wants to deal with. Lots of good info here.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 01:17 PM

Clough, as to the forum issue, I was not at all referring to the fact that they don't have a forum, versus say Craigslist that does. I agree that is not their main function. I was talking about the fact that there's no information available at the site about the site, other than that forum. Which is an inappropriate way to have to get information on a site. While a forum is useful to ask questions about stuff you don't understand, to get extra tips and hints, etc. it's not the appropriate medium to get any information about a site. (Not unless they have a main FAQs as a sticky post or something.)

i.e. When you click "about us" - it should go to a page that has information about the site, not to a forum where you have to ask questions about the site. So there is no "about us" page at all. Just a forum type thing. You click on "guidelines" and there are no guidelines there. It goes to the same forum thing. And I also commented on the fact that the forum is completely defunct. So no info available, and no way to ask for it. It's like a "ghost site."

How well you know the site is irrelevant. Remember that not everyone is going there on your recommendation and the site wasn't set up to be used only by people who got your recommendation. It should be useful and appropriate for anyone who happens to go there. I am judging the site, as it stands.

If you checked the privacy policy so carefully, did you not notice it mentions nothing about your email? It says they won't sell personal info to third parties. It does not say how they will use any personally identifying information. It only talks about using cookies to track non-personally identifying stuff like your browser, ISP and the like. I'm sorry - it's a lame privacy policy.

There is simply no info at this place. While any site can lie, and therefore it can always be a good idea to ask others their experiences with the site, that's not the same thing as just having no information to start with. In fact, when someone comes here wanting to know if some site is legit, having a lack of any kind of information is exactly the kind of thing that would make me suspicious.

Which makes it a bad site. I'm not implying they actually are doing something bad. I trust that you haven't had any problems with it. I'm just saying that's not an appropriate way for a site to be when I'm going to be giving them information and using it as a contact to other people. For a site like that, information should be available before I give them info, not after I've been using it for a while. Since that is the entire point - that I can't find out anything before joining, and from what I can tell even after joining - then yes, it is perfectly justifiable for me to judge that!

And it's not appropriate for them not to tell me that the second I make up some email and password that suddenly I'm now registered. Nearly any site you go to will take you to an actual registration page, let you confirm the info, and check it over, before hitting like a submit button. This thing didn't even really tell me that I was really registering - it just sort of happened. That is not appropriate either and now I'm registered when I don't want to be. Which also makes it justifiable for me to judge it!

You can do anything you want - that's your privilege. But I could never recommend such a site. But it did seem a bit contradictory to make comments about other sites not telling you that you can't change your ads, when this site tells you nothing whatsoever at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free People Finder Websites [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for some free people search websites. Can anybody give me a comprehensive list of these sites? Also, can anybody provide me with sites that let me know if someone has died? Thanks.

Free movie websites? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can watch free movies online without downloading them or registering for a website?

Free poker websites [ 9 Answers ]

Are there any poker websites that are free. And you wouldn't loose any money or gain any.

Know Any Websites With Some Free mp3s? [ 1 Answers ]

This Is Tha First question I everasked on this site: Does Anyone know Some Websies I Can go on where I can go to download free mp3s With no credit card required besides downloads.knsider.com??

View more questions Search