Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahrone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 04:01 PM
    I was recently contacted by a 20 year old girl living in WV, she says I'm her dad
    I want to know if I will owe back child support since I was never made aware of her until now. She wants me to take a paternity test, will this make me liable for child support. Her mother was married when she was born and her step dads name is on her birth certificate.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2010, 04:04 PM

The only thing you're interested in is child support? Unbelievable!
    You may have a child and you care only about child support?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 04:15 PM

First could it be your daughter? I assume so.

Next if there was a child support order for you when she was a child, you will still owe. If there was not a order for support, then no you will not owe any back support
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2010, 04:46 PM

Please pay more attention to posting guidelines. There is a Read First sticky in the Parenting forum (where this was moved from) that directs questions of a legal nature to this forum.

You say your name is not on the birth certificate. So you were never declared the legal father. If the mother was married at the time of birth her husband would be considered the legal father unless a challenge was issued. Unless you were named the legal father and a child support order was issued in your name, then you would not be liable for child support, even if a DNA test shows you to be the father.

And I agree with KitKat, it's a shame your main concern is child support. Did you know the mother was pregnant and that you may have been the father?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2010, 04:53 PM

You are not obliged to take a paternity test, meet her or form a relationship with her. You sound a bit as though you feel kind of cornered. Anything you choose to do is voluntary. If you wish to be left alone, tell her that. Or at least ask for some time to think about what you want to do. Her request for a paternity seems a bit sudden and out of the blue. She lacks tact!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2010, 05:24 PM
    This young lady contacted you and told you she might be your daughter and you want to shirk your resposibility. She has probably wanted to know her "real" Dad. Do you have any idea how much it must have excited her to talk to you.

You need to man up and take a DNA test and put this to rest. Money is not the most important thing in the world. This young lady could be your flesh and blood and you want to know about the cost if she is. That is pathetic. Think of how she feels and stop thinking in terms of money.

Shame on you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 07:12 AM

No, you don't owe back child support UNLESS there is a child support order which you failed to honor.

She is over the age of majority (18). Unless there is a compelling reason for which she can get a Court Order (and there is a thread about this in missing persons, probably from a year ago, also in NY) you are not obligated to take a DNA test.

Why do you think she is looking for support and not some type of information/closure? I can't imagine living every day, not knowing 100% who my father is!

I am confused by your language - you had an affair with a married woman whose husband you refer to as the child's "step dad." Do you believe or KNOW that you are the father? Otherwise the wording is odd.

As far as the rest of the comments concerning your value system - you had an affair with a married woman. She (and possibly you) passed "your" child off as her husband's and you stood by and let that happen, suckering the other guy/husband into parenting and supporting your child.

I'm not the least bit surprised that your present concern is 100% monetary based on your past history.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 07:43 AM

For those shaming the man because a stranger--yes, a stranger--wants him to submit to a test that may show that he got someone pregnant TWENTY ONE years ago----please keep in mind that you have no idea what's going on in this person's life after that long. He may not have known.

MY first questions would be to know my legal liabilities as well. There's no way I'd let a stranger barge into my life without knowing what legal and financial and moral pitfalls might be waiting for me, either.

As far as his morals--are you REALLY still holding him as the same person as 21 years ago? Are any of YOU the same person you were then? I know *I* was a different person then, and a much more selfish one. And besides--he states in his question that he didn't even know about her until now.

To the OP: As long as there is no support order, there should be no reason to owe back support.

Biologically related or not, he doesn't know this person, and doesn't know what steps to take to protect himself and any family he may now have.

To the OP--as long as there was no support order, you should not owe back support. I would also make sure that your first several meetings with this person are done with a third party present, so that high emotion does not foster miscommunication.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    For those shaming the man because a stranger--yes, a stranger--wants him to submit to a test that may show that he got someone pregnant TWENTY ONE years ago----please keep in mind that you have no idea what's going on in this person's life after that long. He may not have known.

MY first questions would be to know my legal liabilities as well. There's no way I'd let a stranger barge into my life without knowing what legal and financial and moral pitfalls might be waiting for me, either.

As far as his morals--are you REALLY still holding him as the exact same person as 21 years ago? Are any of YOU the same person you were then? I know *I* was a different person then, and a much more selfish one. And besides--he states in his question that he didn't even know about her until now.

To the OP: As long as there is no support order, there should be no reason to owe back support.

Biologically related or not, he doesn't know this person, and doesn't know what steps to take to protect himself and any family he may now have.

To the OP--as long as there was no support order, you should not owe back support. I would also make sure that your first several meetings with this person are done with a third party present, so that high emotion does not foster miscommunication.

I understand what you are saying BUT until OP adds to this post I am not certain that this is a mistake he made 20 or 21 years ago or a decision he made and then he never turned around. I am troubled by the "her husband, the stepfather" comment - makes me think OP always knew and let the husband/stepfather support this child in all ways.

Would I have walked away from a child 21 years ago (if you are asking me)? No. I'm not talking about adoption - I'm talking about walking away.

Yes, I'm not the same person I was "back then" but I don't believe I've changed that much.

My advice stays - the child cannot force DNA unless/until there's a Court Order due to a compelling reason . It is up to OP to meet or not meet.

I am searching out the post from the "girl" in NY who did locate her father, got a Court Order, met with him, communicated - and it was a disaster. She ended up very, very badly "hurt" by a man who didn't want to be part of her life then - and doesn't want to be part of her life now. I'm sure her father, whose life was suddenly shaken to the core, feels the same way.

No easy path for either side.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2010, 08:34 AM

Its true some of us may owe the OP an apology for jumping to certain conclusions. However, until the OP returns to explain the circumstances, I have to go by what little he has posted.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 08:54 AM

I think he was pretty clear. She already has a father in as much as her mother was married when she was born and her (possibly non bio) father was on the birth certificate. He said he was unaware of her existence until now. I think this young woman has a lot of nerve approaching a perfect stranger and asking that he take a paternity test. I don't think he should be shamed about wondering what the consequences might be for him.

Lots of bio parents who put their kids up for adoption don't want to be contacted and we mostly respect that. I don't see this as that different.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:28 AM

I see the difference in whether the husband KNEW he wasn't the father - put your "kids" up for adoption, everyone signs, everyone knows, no one gets this type of con job - if that's what happened.

I strongly suspect that if the male on the birth certificate posted that he supported this child for 20 years, believed she was his child and - surprise! - found out he's not the advice would be very, very critical of the birth father and mother.

OP refers to the husband as the stepfather so it's not like he didn't know. If OP knows and/or believes that this is his child and does nothing, dies, will or no will his next of kin might very well be in for the fight of a lifetime.

I think until OP comes back no one knows what happened - and I don't see OP coming back.

I also read the various legal threads about "my father died and he never acknowledged me and what am I entitled to get" posts so I'm not even certain what it is the daughter wants or needs to know - or why NOW this is a question.

Also need to know when mother told daughter that, by the way, "he's not your real father." And why.

Which takes us full circle to legally compelling reason to get DNA done.

All else aside - and I've done it myself - this is a legal forum and that is the legal answer.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 09:32 AM

I see fault with the MOTHER if the OP never knew. Not with the OP.

How many questions do we get on a daily basis about "how much trouble would I be in if my boyfriend signed the birth certificate knowing he's not the father? The father broke up with me and I don't want him around"?

Too many questions--but either way, if the OP didn't know about her until she approached him, it can hardly be his fault for not being there.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 10:31 AM

I shouldn't have posted on the legal board since I know nothing about the law. I apologize to those who are law experts. It just irritated me about this girl.
    My apologies to the ones who do know about the laws.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    I shouldn't have posted on the legal board since I know nothing about the law. I apologize to those who are law experts. It just irritated me about this girl.
    my apologies to the ones who do know about the laws.

It's a knee jerk reaction. I had to read the question several times and I'm still not sure - how does he know stepfather's name is on because, why is that person the stepfather, too many questions.

I'd like to hear from the stepfather, by the way - but that's never going to happen.

For whatever reason OP believes the "child" so I'm voting that he has some knowledge.

Of course, I MAY have been wrong before - a few hundred times, give or take.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's a knee jerk reaction. I had to read the question several times and I'm still not sure - how does he know stepfather's name is on bc, why is that person the stepfather, too many questions.

I'd like to hear from the stepfather, by the way - but that's never going to happen.

For whatever reason OP believes the "child" so I'm voting that he has some knowledge.

Of course, I MAY have been wrong before - a few hundred times, give or take.

I think you're right on this one.:)
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 02:59 PM

I tend to think "step dad" was just because OP was confused about what to call the father.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 03:13 PM

And please remember--he was contacted by this girl.

He is liable to use the same language she did to describe relationships.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    The only thing you're interested in is child support? Unbelievable!
    You may have a child and you care only about child support?
    If I was the OP I would be scared,too.
    The West Virginia statutes are silent about the limitation of awarded retroactive child support and there is presumption that child support may be awarded from the child's birth.
    Example-if the OP average income for last 20 years is $2,000 a month he may be ordered to pay retroactive child support as follow:
    Unpaid child support: $80,568
    Interest on unpaid amount:$72,173
    Total amount: $ 152,741 payable immediately.

I calculated it based on WA child support guidelines
    48-13-301. Determining the basic child support obligation.
    The basic child support obligation is determined from the following table of monthly basic child support obligations:
    $2000-child support=$373

Interest on Missed Child Support Payments

West Virginia provides for interest to be charged on late child support payments, retroactive support and adjudicated arrears at a rate of 10% simple interest. (WV Code 56-6-31 and 48-1-302)

Sounds horrible?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    To the OP--as long as there was no support order, you should not owe back support.
    Agreed! But Back child support and Retroactive child support are different legal terms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recently Married to a foreigner, LIving Overseas. How do I file? [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I have lived in Spain for several years. I qualify for Foreign Earned Income and the Foreign Housing Deduction. I am self-employed. I married a Spaniard in Nov 2006. I am trying to file my taxes and I'm not sure what status to use. He's not an American citizen, we don't live in the U.S. and...

Recently found out why my dad was going away for the weekend [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all I recently found out that the reason my dad had been going away over the weekends was to see another woman. Turns out he'd been 'seeing' her since before Christmas last year but never said anything. After a family meal (after he'd just come back) he told my mum, who then came round to...

Ex contacted me, it's been over a year [ 10 Answers ]

OK, this is going to be pretty detailed. So I was with this girl for a while, we broke up and have since dated other people. We haven't been in a relationship for over 2 years. I hadn't spoken or heard from her (no email, text, nothing) for over 1 year. So to my surprise, she called me. (a new...

My dad recently died and I want to find out my rights as to his life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently passed and I want to find out if I have any benefits how do I find this out

10 year old girl - chores struggle - attitude - step dad. [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be these pre teen years are quite a struggle. I try to pick my battles, create a positive environment etc. My daughter is 10 going on 17. We struggle about doing chores and mostly her attitude and tone. I try to implement structure and routine. I've always parented her in a friends first...

View more questions Search