Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 6, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Can this be considered discrimination ?
    My brother-in-law who is African American had an unloaded weapon in his checked baggage. He wanted to take it to another state to go to a shooting range and practice shooting the weapon with a friend police officer. We read the FAA regulations and followed it exactly. The weapon was unloaded, securely packaged according to FAA rules and it was declared at the check-in counter and the key to the box was also provided to the agent - all according to FAA rules. He has absolutely no criminal record of any kind. However, the weapon was not allowed to go on the plane and he was told it will be kept until he returns. No reasons were given for this action at all. Should we be on the phone talking to a lawyer ? Thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 11:45 AM

Why should you be speaking to a lawyer? He wasn't arrested, they just took the weapon, which they have, I believe, every right to do. Was any harm done? He can retrieve his firearm, can't he? I don't see it as racial profiling, or discrimination.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2010, 11:55 AM

No, I don't think you should be on the phone with a lawyer. I think he needs to learn to read the regs more carefully. FAA regs don't govern here TSA regs do.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers (LEOs) who are authorized to fly armed by meeting the requirements of 49 CFR § 1544.219.

While he may have followed all the guidelines for LEOs to carry a firearm in unchecked luggage, he is not a LEO and therefore, it was wrong for him to carry the firearm. He is actually lucky he was not arrested.

Sounds like he was treated with courtesy and fully within the law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 02:01 PM

They don't care what color he is, he did not properly have the weapon secured and locked if they did not allow it to be transported

Sep 6, 2010, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    They don't care what color he is, he did not properly have the weapon secured and locked if they did not allow it to be transported
    I don't think that was the situation. The TSA rules are clear. No one carries a firearm in unchecked luggage except for certain LEOs. The OP's brother-in-law is not a LEO. Therefore, he should not have had the firearm in unchecked luggage. It doesn't matter whether the weapon was secured and locked according to FAA/TSA regs or not. Those regs ONLY apply to some LEOs. The B-I-L apparently looked for the regs on securing a weapon and ignored or didn't notice the fact that those regs did not apply to him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 03:33 PM

Did they not say he was Law Enforcement or merely meeting someone who was

Sep 6, 2010, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Did they not say he was Law Enforcement or merley meeting someone who was
    Nope, what he said was he planned on going to a range with a police officer friend: "He wanted to take it to another state to go to a shooting range and practice shooting the weapon with a friend police officer."

There was no indication that he, himself, is a LEO.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... I think he needs to learn to read the regs more carefully. ...
    While he may have followed all the guidelines for LEOs to carry a firearm in unchecked luggage, he is not a LEO and therefore, it was wrong for him to carry the firearm.
    I think someone else needs to learn to read more carefully:

Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    ... had an unloaded weapon in his checked baggage. ...
    He had the weapon in his checked baggage, it was not in a carry-on bag.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Why should you be speaking to a lawyer? He wasnt arrested, they just took the weapon, which they have, I believe, every right to do. Was any harm done? he can retrieve his firearm, can't he?
    Yes, the OP was prevented from enjoying a day of shooting his firearm with his friend as he had intended. And he was not allowed to do that because of the stupidity of the TSA agent who appears not to be well versed on his own regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    ... I dont see it as racial profiling, or discrimination.
    I agree with you there. Stupidity: yes. Bigotry: no evidence of that.

Sep 7, 2010, 05:27 AM

Someone edited the original post. The original post said unchecked Luggage. Maybe the OP made an error in what was originally posted. But I did read that VERY carefully and double checked it, because the TSA rules are specific.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:09 AM
    Someone edited the original post. The original post said unchecked Luggage. Maybe the OP made an error in what was originally posted. But I did read that VERY carefully and double checked it, because the TSA rules are specific.
    OK. Sorry about the reading carefully comment, then.

I guess liberal use of the "quote user" button can have it's benefits.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
    I am sure I posted about an hour ago that, yes, I had seen 'unchecked luggage' as well, but it isn't here. I had used the quote user feature. I wonder what happened to my affirmation of your post ? Anyway, here it is again. Yes you did read it correctly.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discrimination or not [ 1 Answers ]

Have a tenant who moved in on August 15, 2008. After signing a 6-month lease with her, we realized that this woman isn't ready to be living on her own. She was released from a nursing home where she was living in the brain injury center. We spoke with her family case worker, who agrees with us...

Discrimination or what? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at...

Is this discrimination? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Angela and I have worked at a dine-in pizza restaurant for a little over 2 years now. My current posisition is Shift Manager and I had been getting roughly 30 hours a week, give or take a few each week. I am also 36 weeks pregnant as of today, and have been working throughout my...

Discrimination? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have an question about an pargraph that my boss has read on a company purchase order. It stated " During the performance of this contract( or purchase order), the contractor/vendor agrees to comply with all Federal, State and Local Laws respecting discrimination in employment and...

Is This Discrimination ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had...

View more questions Search