Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
    Craftsman model 917.273399 18HP B&S 5BSXS.5012VP runs for 15 min, quits
    Have a Craftsman LT1000, model# above, engine above. Starts fine cold, runs 15 minutes, dies, cools off, starts, runs 15 min, dies, etc. Replaced oil, filter, fuel filter, gas cap, air filter, spark plug, & gas. Also let gas tank drain a bit in case of something big in the line. Haven't checked carb or fuel pump yet. Assuming those 2 are good due to good start and run for the duration. Kind of don't want to dig into the carb, but may have to. Don't think it would be safety switches with this problem. Don't really know where 2 go next. Suggestions? Also pulled the shroud off and the rotor and stator look fairly rusted, but I can turn it a full cycle. Also the fuel solonoid is measuring 41 ohms, and after it's been energized for for about 15 minutes, it's pretty hot, and then measures about 48 ohms -don't know what they normally read across the coils.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2010, 06:43 PM

Sounds like you might have a coil / armature when it dies check and see if it has spark,a inline spark tester would be best to use.
    Mowbetter Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 11:03 PM

Yes, check for spark when engine quits. I agree with DG. Carb problems usually won't let the enging run that long, just until the fuel in the bowl is depleted. New fuel cap eliminates plugged vent that can mimic your problem. If your fuel solenoid has a rubber tip on it, check to see if it has loosened on its shaft as it can act as a float and shut off the fuel supply after running for awhile even if the solenoid is activated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Model 917.253741 Mower [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a manual for a 1983 Craftsman Rider Lawn Mower, Model 917.253741, Serial Number 0983501710. I know its old but we just bought an engine for it and it runs like a charm, but I need the manual for a parts list... HELP

I have Craftsman lawn tractor model #917.273130. It runs but doesn't move.Any suggest [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor model #917.273130(17 HP electric start, 6 speed transaxle). It runs fine but as of about 10 days ago in the middle of cutting grass it just stopped moving. Any suggestions?

I have a Craftsman tractor model 917.272751. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman tractor model 917.272751. When I start it, it runs for about 1 minute,then starts missing and finally stalls. Sometimes it will restart, but sometimes it will not. However, after awhile, it will start again. Please advise

Craftsman 917.271760 18HP won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor (917.271760) Engine model # 31H777-0228-E1 that was running fine, but now I cn't get it to start. The engine starts to turn over when you turn the key then whines and stops. If I take the spark plug out it turns over fine, but hwen I put the spark plug back in it...

Craftsman 38' model # 917.254750 [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install a new belt for the blade drive

View more questions Search