Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katonah4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Limits on length of ethernet cable
    I have an Airport Extreme wireless modem unit that is connected via ethernet cable to a hub that is then connected to a cable modem and to a PC, both of which are located downstairs in my family room. I also have a MacBook Pro laptop that I usually use upstairs on the other end of the house but often the signal is very weak or nonexistant. I got a Hawking high-gain 2.4 Ghz Omni-Directional 7 db antenna (designed for Mac) to extend the range, but it does not improve things.

I was thinking about running an ethernet cable from downstairs where the cable modem is, to my office upstairs, where I would then place the Airport unit to deliver wireless signal to my Mac laptop and my son's iMac that he keeps in the same room. I'm guessing that I would need at least 50 foot or more of ethernet cable to do this.

So my question is whether this is a viable solutions or is there a limit on the length of the ethernet cable? If someone has a better solution without having to spend a lot more money, please suggest.it

Thanks

Tom
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Dec 26, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Generally speaking 100 Meters is the limit (327 feet) for Cat5 cable or better for 100 Mbps connections.
    knowledgedany Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 07:47 AM
    How much ethernet segment lenth

Oct 8, 2010, 07:50 AM
    *** tell me fastethernet segment lenth limit

Oct 8, 2010, 07:56 AM
    When ethernet segment exced 100m which type of problems occur
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 06:18 AM

Well when you exceed the limit you run into a little thing called attenuation. Which means that the more data travels across the cable (ie: the longer the cable) the strength gets lower and lower the closer you get to the limit. That's why there are limits to things like this. You can't expect the signal to go forever.

Think of it this way, the data simply runs out of juice once it hits 327' 1".

Rick

P.S. I actually run a 50ft Cat5 from my modem (family room) to my router (my room) and it works just as if it was next to each other. I don't suspect you'll run into issues with a 50ft.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 06:25 AM

Not sure why you aked for the segment length limit again twice when you were answered in the first response.

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home. I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen. I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be...

CAT6 cable length adapter? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a wireless home network. I installed Linux Xandros onto a hard drive and installed it into my sons computer. Unfortunalty, after some researching, no Linux OS's are currently wireless adaptable. Even though I currently have the router in a lower heigth location than it should be...

Current Limits. [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday, this girl I'm dating messaged me.. making it clear that we can't kiss and do anything further.. but we can only hold hands and hug each other. I think it doesn't make sense that she's telling me about this so point blank like she wants to plan everything about our relationship out. I...

Ethernet cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am on orange broadband and I need to connect the ethernet cable from my livebox into my computer ,however I donot have an ethernet socket on my computer so is there another way of doing this .

Ethernet cable doesn't fit in socket [ 6 Answers ]

First of all, yes, I'm putting it in the right place. I know which one is the modem socket and which one is for an ethernet cable. I've used this same socket (is that the best word?) for over a year, and it's been fine. Now, however, my ethernet cable keeps coming out of the socket. I can put...

View more questions Search