Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trojans1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
    Briggs n Stratton mower always starts but idles hard& no power, help?
    I have a lawn mower that hardly runs but always starts on first pull... Spark plug even a new one always comes out with black carbon like substance on it. Also the spings on throttle (? ) are loose with no tension. It runs very hard, with little power hardly cuts and vibrates violently. The foam air filter seems clean.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2010, 06:40 PM

Did you hit something?
    If not check for clean air filter.
    If it has a fixed throttle you could have hit a push and pushed back the throttle control
    The thing the spring hooks to.
    If so pull the spring out until the rpms sound good.
    If you by chance have a tack set them at 3250 no load 3100-3150 load or blade running.
    trojans1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 04:39 AM

Bought it used on craigslist so no idea on history... used carburetor srpay and cleraned air filter, but engine still sputters and knocks, I held throttle forward and that helps a bit but still won't cut and still runs very hard knocking and sputtering
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 05:42 AM

Take off spark plug wire ,lay on oppisite side of carb have some one pull the rope and see if bolt on bottom of crankshaft ,holding blade on wobbles ,if so shaft is bent.
    But it sounds like flywheel key could be sheared,
    Mowbetter Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 11:10 PM

Yep, check for bent crank and sheared flywheel key... probably why it was on Craigslist... good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have 17hp ohv briggs starts hard a new battery & starter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 17hp OHV briggs & straton engine with a new battery & starter. When I try to start it the motor turns like the battery is low. When the engine comes to the compression stroke it bearly turns. On the exaust stroke it turns fast. Could the problem be the valves needing adjusting ?

6.5 briggs & stratton starts for a few seconds only [ 3 Answers ]

Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP engine (123K02-0181-E1) suddenly stopped while mowing and I could not get it re-started. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it; replaced the spark plug, fuel line, changed oil and air filter. It started up for a few seconds and then stopped. I could not get it to...

15.5 briggs & Stratton "Craftsman Riding mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 42" Riding mower that's approx 5-7 years old. It runs great when it runs, but when I try to start it up is when I run into trouble. Ive replaced the battery... brushes in the starter... fuel filter... cleaned all the battery connections including the ground on the frame. It...

Briggs & Stratton 10 hp lawn mower engine? [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if the flywheel should be in contact with the starter at all times as it appears to be! It has eaten the flywheel gear off! Stupid nylon gear! Is there any after market alloy type replacement? Numbers off engine plate Model 28a707 Type 0113-01 Code 951103za

Briggs & Stratton 17.5HP hard to start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy Built Pony riding lawn tracotr with a 17.5HP B&S OHV engine with electric start. Most of the time when I go to start it the engine tries to turn over but seizes. When I remove the spark plug the engine turns over easily. When I replace the plug sometimes it starts and sometimes it...

View more questions Search