Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarikakamboj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
    J1 information
    Hello.

Greetings!!

I am Sarika, and I am entering to US (Maine State) on 1st February, 07 and my Employer Company is a Hotel and visa type is V1. In the meantime I come to know that I am 1 month pregnant. I want to ask few questions and I would really appreciate if you can find some time and answer my queries.

· Can I still go to attend my Internship?

· What would be the status of my baby in US? Is he/ She is exempt from any Tax.

· Do I have to pay any tax to US Government? Or what can I do to exempt taxes?

· After finishing my Internship (initially 1 year) can I apply for Job in US?

. After entering to US,when can I call my spouse with me, can he study here? I would appreciate an elaborated information for this point. Please provide me any link or database if possible.

. And if my employer is not ready for my medical liabilities, can I go for medical and pregnancy insurance myself?

I am not very literate on J1. Any help/ information will be appreciated.
    vallerina Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2006, 03:47 AM
    Hi Sarika,
    Here are two websites you should visit that provide the details and requirements of the J visa/Exchange Visitor program. I've answered a few of your questions, the rest of it you should be able to find in the sites.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...1267.htmlStudy
    About the Program – The Exchange Visitor Program

Spouse and dependents can enter the U.S. at the same time as the principal exchange visitor or at a later date. (So your husband can come anytime, provided that your sponsor produces a DS-2019 for him AND he is approved for a visa.)

The spouse of an exchange visitor may study in the U.S. without also being required to apply for a student (F-1) visa or change to F-1 status.

You are required by the US Government to maintain specific levels of income as well as medical and repatriation insurance on yourself and any dependents here with you. The amounts are listed in the websites. American health insurance is VERY expensive if your employer is not providing coverage or paying a part of it. That is something you should really investigate since you are pregnant and may incur a lot of doctor/hospital bills. Also consider you will probably be out of work for 6-8 weeks on maternity leave. Does your employer pay you during that time? Will you have enough income?

As for staying in the US past your program end date, depending on what your category is, you may be able to extend or transfer to another place. If you are subject to INA 212(e) requirement, you cannot change status to that of H, L, K, or immigrant lawful permanent resident (LPR) until you have returned to your home country for at least two-years OR received a waiver of that requirement.

Good luck! - Valleri

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Useful Information [ 38 Answers ]

I'm bored... this might not sound very fluent because I'm pretty much just typing what comes off my head. Feel free to add things and I'll edit it and we can make it into something big that everyone can read, because it seems like everyone has the relative same problems. I used to be there, not...

Information [ 3 Answers ]

How many countries are there in world? How many muslim countries? How many hindu countris? Tell me about every relegion countries

Information? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm doing research for a novel, and if anyone can give me some good information on Argentinosaurus, Amargasaurus, Saltasaurus, and Giganotosaurus, or at least links to some good informational sites, it would be much appreciated.

Some information [ 2 Answers ]

Don't exactly know if if is related to psychic abilites but can anyone often any info on psychokinesis can't seem to find much on the subject.

View more questions Search