Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sowrdsman255 Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Aaerospace Engineering
    Hi, all my life I have wanted to be an aerospace engineer and work for NASA. I have always loved space and things dealing with it. I have been wondering and trying to research 1. How much an aerospace enginner makes 2. Where I need to go to collage to be one and 3. What will I need to study. If anyone can help me with these questions it would be greatly apreciated.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:15 AM

Assuming you are in high school now - you should make sure to do well in math and physics, and take AP courses in both if iffered.. Then for college apply to some good engineering schools. Some schools have aeronautical engineering available as a major for undergrads, but another route is to take mechanical engineering as an undergrad (to get a good foundation in mechanics, dynamics, fluids, and heat transfer) with some aeronautical engineering electives thrown in, and then consider a masters degree later in aeronautical or aerospace. As for salaries - in general an engineer with a bachelors degree can aexpect to start at around $50K - $60K, and with a masters degree perhaps $65K. These are just ball park numbers of course, and vary regionally quite a bit, and will really depend on the state of the economy when you enter the work force.
    Sowrdsman255 Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2010, 03:53 PM

I' also planning on getting my Doctorits degree
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 06:03 AM

Starting salary for someone with a doctorate in engineering is probably in the $75K - $95K area. Again, highly dependent on the company, region, economy, etc. You mentoined specifically working for NASA, as opposed to a private company - that would put you on a government pay scale which is probably a bit less.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 06:22 AM

I am an aircraft inspector and mechanic, and work for the world's largest military and commercial aircraft producer. We have several types of engineers. It sounds as though you want to be a designer. Starting pay could be in the range that ebaines mentioned. Could be a little higher by the time you get to it. You can bet that it would be above average, and provide a good income.

But most importantly, you would be chasing your dream.

Again, like ebaines mentioned, you have to have good grades, especially in math and science.

A large majority of our engineers have gone to this school:Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - World's Leader in Aviation and Aerospace Education

Buckle down, and never forget your goal.

The aerospace industry is going to a different level now with new materials, like composites, and alternate fuels. You could very well be instrumental in it's future.

I wish you the best.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Sep 11, 2010, 07:02 PM

Embry Riddle is a good school, but so are Penn State, University of Maryland, N.C. State University at Raliegh and many others of greater or lesser renown. You want to shop around and see which Universities are strongest in your areas of interest... say structures versus aerodynamics.

I concur with ebaines that a major in mechanical engineering with further study in your specific area of interest is a good choice. Or perhaps you want to specialize in electrical/electronics engineering, or materials engineering. You have a lot of choices, but usually you don't have to decide on your final specialty until the second or third year in college.

Be sure to take chemistry in high school. Some universities require it for entry, and in some cases also require it as a freshman course, and then use it to weed out weak students... or at least they used to. In any event, if you are interested in rockets, a strong foundation in chemistry is a good thing.

Don't neglect english courses, and take a technical writing course in college. As an engineer you will be expected to be able to clearly express yourself in technical reports, as well as in general communication of technical concepts. Technical knowledge is useless unless it can be communicated properly.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanical Engineering versus Aeronautical Engineering [ 3 Answers ]

I am asking about the relationship between Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. Is it possible to pursue Aeronautical Engineering postgraduate degree after completing Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree? How is the demand for Aeronautical Engineering graduates?

I am doing engineering but I am not doing well at all,what should I do? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is abhishek tambe... when I passed my schools I entered into the field of engineering... but I am not doing well at all... my life is going nowhere.. I am continuing this but can't give the interest on this field... I am getting interested in the field of tourism but don't have...

View more questions Search