Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamant365 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
    Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan
    I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black from the fan on the bottom switch pole. The new control doesn't specify what to do with the white. If I connect together the white to the other white wires at the receptacle, only the fan works, not the light. Can anyone help?
    adamant365 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 01:37 PM
    I actually figured it out. Basically, the white common connected to the appliance was being used as the return to the fan while the black in the same cable was being used as the return to the light. So, all I had to do was join the two other blacks (both hot) and hook those to the "service in" black wire on the switch unit. I don't know if it is standard practice to use the white common as a hot feed to a ceiling fan, but that's what appeared to be the case. Anyway, all is working correctly now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installilng dual dimmer switch for ceiling fan w/light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a ceiling fan with light fixture. Also, I have installed 4 recessed light fixtures. All 5 items are connected to a junction box in the attic. I have installed a 3 gain box in the wall. I have 2 slide dimmer controlling each set of lights. I have one dimmer with a light and fan...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search