Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elained81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 03:48 AM
    I have just been promoted and my staff are giving me back chat and attitude?
    I have just been promoted a week ago and my staff below me have been giving me back chat and attitude since. I did get on well enough with them before the promotion and one of them did also go for the promotion as well. I've only been with the company for 6 months and received this promotion over the girl who has been with the company for 3 years! Due to all the back chat and attitude I've had I want to go back to the position I had and wondered if my manager can actually keep me in the promotion if she wants? I have asked about moving back to my old position and my manger has said we'll discuss things further next week. I know my manager's options are to move staff around rooms, so I have other staff, start disciplinary procedures on both my staff for their behaviour or to allow me to come back to my old position but I'm unsure if she'll do any of these...
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2010, 04:32 AM

You were promoted based on your qualifacations and experience,you were promoted because your boss felt you were the best person for the job.

There is probably a little bit of sour grapes going on.

Be confident in your position,you deserve it.

If you need to take disciplinary action then do.

This is not a playground this is work,if the staff don't realise this perhaps a gentle reminder that there are laws against bullying in the workplace.

Lead by example.

You could call a meeting,state what your new role is and what is entails.

Management Skills

The link above is about management skills,perhaps you may be able to implement some of the tips.

To end, if your not happy in your new role and if its affecting your health then by all means talk to your boss,but keep in mind the attitudes of your staff may not change should you demote.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2010, 06:00 AM

Hello e:

So, you want to lay down because people are jealous of you. IS that about it?? If you do, you better NOT get up, because you're going to run into those kinds of people ALL over the place. I'd start looking for a good shopping cart.. Get one with sturdy wheels.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 07:49 AM

Seldom will a company let a person go back, they may just let them "go" instead. Next so if you are suppose to be a supervisor or manager, then be one, meet with your boss, and come up with a plan.
    Personally I would meet with the people under me, explain that this type of behavior will not be allowed.

If and when it does, then you nip it right then, you call them on the behavior.
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 01:39 PM

How can one of your staff come to you about bullying issues when you have no idea how to handle them for yourself. Young lady put your chest out and start walking with your held up high. If you back down now, you may always cow tow, and who the heck wants to do that!!
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 8, 2010, 06:20 PM

An aside, kowtow is the act of deep respect shown by kneeling and bowing so low as to have one's head touching the ground. At least that is the original meaning, in Chinese culture. When the term came into the English culture in the 19th century, the meaning shifted to mean submission.

Learned that in 7th grade - about the only thing I do recall from that year. Lol.

To echo the posts of others - ask your supervisor for some pointers. It is tough to be placed into management when you do not have training. Just remember you are not there to be the best buddy anymore. You can be firm without becoming the company b word. If you would back down in your job, you would not gain back any respect from your co-workers. It would be signal to them that they won.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the average number of years taken by an executive to get promoted in US? [ 1 Answers ]

I am making a report on training requirements in developing ecenomies. For this I want to compare the average number of years spent by an executive to get promoted in a developed ecenomy as compared to that in a developing economy.

Hire's outside a company make more coming in than those being promoted within? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been working with a company for the past 5 years. He has had two big promotions that should have increased his salary considerably according to his market value rate. When he asked his manager if he could be paid market value rate, the manager responds that the company cannot give...

Out-of-state office space used by local staff, with a sleeping room 4 staff travelers [ 1 Answers ]

Can I rent an out-of-state office space used by local staff, with a sleeping room for other staff travelers? I run a tutoring program out of state, that requires me and the other officers of the company to visit for training and managing. Instead of paying exorbitant hotel fees, if our company...

View more questions Search