Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rje123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 04:51 AM
    quadratic formula word problem
    A football is thrown to a reciver 40 yards away. Using the quadratic formula
    y = -0.025x(Squared) + x + 5 determine:
    a) How many yards from the quarterback does the football reach it's maximum height and
    b) What is the footballs' height at that distance.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2010, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rje123 View Post
    A football is thrown to a reciver 40 yards away. Using the quadratic formula
    y = -0.025x(Squared) + x + 5 determine:
    Why not use ^ for powers like so: -.025x^2

Instead of writing out the word 'squared'?

After all, that is what SHIFT 6 is for.

a) How many yards from the quarterback does the football reach it's maximum height
    Just use

b) What is the footballs' height at that distance.
    Just use

From the graph, I made the assumption it is thrown from ground level. That may not be the case. It is probably thrown from a height of 5 feet at (0,5).
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Using Quadratic Functions in word problem [ 3 Answers ]

Okay. I have some trouble with this word problem Using Quadratic equation. Could someone help please? 1.)The sum of a number and its reciprocal is 26/5. Find the number. 2.)One positive integer is three larger than another positive integer. The sum of the squares of these integers is one...

How to solve a quadratic word problem [ 2 Answers ]

Im am challenged when it comes to word problems, please help! Sammy takes 5 hours longer to complete 300 lines of code than Martin. Together, Sammy and Martin can complete the code in 6 hours. Clearly explain the results showing the calculations of how long it takes each programmer to complete...

Finding quadratic eqaution from a word problem [ 1 Answers ]

A farmer uses 400m of fencing to create a rectangular pig pen and to divide it into four equal regions. Algebraically determine the function which gives the area of the pig pen as a function of its width, and state the dimensions that produce maximum area. How do I start this off.. can anyone...

View more questions Search