Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaglehead Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
    I have a briggs & straton 16.5 OHV engine that will not crank.
    I have had starter checked OK, Battery good, leads good, carb good, fuel changed and lines good, cleaned out distributor head good,breakaway in shaft changed,spark plug changed, oil changed. It will turn over slowly but not start. Has fire at plug and fuel at carb. Need help. What should I try next?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 01:04 PM

You eaither have one of two problems... bad solenoid... or a defective starter.

Who determined it was good and how.

I had a defective starter that cranked slow... eventually it cooked the solenoid when it got to the point it couldn't pull the engine any more.

New starter cranks the engine twice as fast as the old one ever did. And I think your engine may use the same part # my 20hp took.

Sep 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Thanks for help. I had starter checked at starter shop. They said it was OK. I can't seem to find solenoid. Followed wiring as far as I could from starter but still could not find it. Any suggestions.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Follow the big fat red wire back from the starter. On mine the solenoid is on the right side of the tractor under the battery tray on the vertical panel.

I paid $40 shipped for a new one on eBay. Simply way to prove it is a jumper cable from the + terminal on the battery to the solenoid post to the starter. If it doesn't crank, then it really does have a bad starter, if you find loose connections tighten them then retry it. Vibration may have just losened a nut.

Sep 5, 2010, 01:13 PM
    Found solenoid. Checked good. Put another starter that was known good on and still same problem. Any other suggestions. Thanks again for your help.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Look at it this way... you have a battery, a fat wire to the solenoid, which is just a relay.. another fat wire and the starter.

If you have a battery that provided enough current... cables that aren't shot, a good solenoid... and a good starter, then its got to work. Because you are getting something.

Back to square one... was your battery load tested? Outside of a seized engine, there really isn't much else it can possible be.

Sep 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Changed out battery to known good one. Engine is not seized. We were able to get it cranked one time with a heavy marine battery. That is when we had to change shear pin in engine. We are getting fire and fuel. This is why it is baffeling me. Timing?

Sep 6, 2010, 09:35 AM
    Do you have any idea on how to set timing on this type engine?
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Unless you disturbed the ignition system, it shouldn't need reset. If the shear pin AKA woodruf key was replaced because you sheared it off... it should have gone right back to the original timing. As far as how to reset timing on one of these? I really don't know as I've never had to do that yet. Even if the timing was off... it should still crank. And you said you are having trouble getting it to crank... which it has to do before it will ever start.

Back to the beginning. If the motor turns freely by hand, then this absolutely HAS to work if the starter is good. Get jumper cables, gron the chassis, hot to the battery, and touch the post on the starter the red wire goes to.

There is no possible way a good starter on a free engine that is good will not crank that way. You have bypassed every possible failure point in the system when you do that. Starting is another thing... we are working on a cranking problem you described.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2010, 06:35 PM

Pull the valve cover off the front of the engine and see if the push rods are still in place.

Sep 7, 2010, 08:49 AM
    I have tried all the above. Still no go. This mower is hydrostatic. It seems it may be trying to turn transmission as well as engine. Not sure at this point what to try now. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
    eaglehead : I have tried all the above. Still no go. This mower is hydrostatic. It seems it may be trying to turn transmission as well as engine. Not sure at this point what to try now. Thanks for your help.

That should not be happening. In fact there should be an interlock switch that requires the clutch/brake pedal to be depressed before it will even engage the starter. THere is also a switch on the seat that works as a dead man stich, and nothing will start of the mower deck is engaged.

Mowbetter Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 10:54 PM

Check the valves. Valve clearances get loose and compression rises making the engine harder to start. Briggs typically sets clearance at .004 to .006 on both intake and exhaust valves on newer engines. As stated, you could also have a push rod that is broken or has become unattached to the rocker arm. Also Briggs uses a kicker on the camshaft that releives compression while starting, allowing the engine to rotate more freely. I've replaced MANY camshafts on B&S single cyl OHV due to this kicker being broken. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My briggs and stratton engine will not crank [ 6 Answers ]

the 17.5 hp I/c ohv engine on my riding lawn mower will not crank.(model # 31x707) the crank shaft will spin seemingly at the same speed as the starter gear when I turn the key to try to start it, but the engine doesn't even try to turn over, it just spins. The crank shaft spins on both the top of...

Briggs straton 17 hp ohv engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have m abriggs and straton 17 horse power mower engine,, it will run OK, for about 15 min... Then it gets hot and just stops runinng,, it cools down will start again run a little while stop again,, I put a ne coil on it did help a little but stills stops. What can I...

Briggs and straton vanguard 15hp ohv timing trouble [ 1 Answers ]

I have a simplicity riding mower with a briggs and straton 15hp ohv vanguard engine model 280777 type 0612 A1 need to know how far to set the pick up coil from the flywheel

14.5 ohv briggs engine ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am just wondering if you can replace the soloniod on the carb with a manual needle valve like in the older briggs engines.

Briggs and Stratton Vanguard OHV Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new Briggs and Stratton 8000 watt generator powered by a Vanguard 15 hp overhead valve engine.Since it came from the factory it has a popping sound from the muffler as it runs. It seems as though there is a misfire. The spark plug has been changed and the spark is in spec. Service dealers...

View more questions Search