Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NYCRAIG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Rotten smell in heat
    About a week ago I started to smell a terrible smell coming from the heating vents on a forced air natural gas heating unit that I have. I read some articles about it maybe being a gas leak. I took my carbon monixide detector after making sure it was working all around the house and did get a response. I also read some articles about mice being in the vents and ducts. I took apart two of the ducts and looked inside and notheing was there. I then looked into the unit itself and where the heat and the exhaust from the buners is it smelled bad but no terrible. What is this smell and how can I fix it.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 26, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Definitely get that carbon monoxide smell fixed, however it should be noted, that the smell you are smelling CAN NOT be carbon monoxide. That gas carries no odor. It could be the smell of the gas itself. But that has a distict "sulfer" or slightly sweetened egg smell.

If you are smelling something like dead animal, then that's probobly what it is. It could also be sewer gasses creeping into your return. You checked the ducts... did you check in the air return. Those critters can even get inside of the heat exchanger in the furnace. To which I would say if he did, Im sure the little guy died a horrible hell of a death, and he will stink for awhile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't know where rotten smell from [ 5 Answers ]

My master bedroom (bathroom?) has this rotten smell that I can't trace to anything. We have a septic tank but all the other bathrooms are fine. I checked the attic and found no dead animal or anything. The smell is sometimes strong sometimes weak. It is not obvious that the smell is from a...

Rotten smell from vents. Reocures every Oct. [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I bought this house in Aug of 2005. Oct of 2005 the vents started to smell. Bad, after a few days it was intolerable. We had to shut off the heat. It was coming from the heating vents and the returns. Couldn't figure out what the problem was so we had the ducts cleaned. ~$450. ...

Rotten-egg / sewage smell in home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been experiencing a rotten-egg / sewage smell in my home. It occurs mainly in the summertime but it is not constant. The smell seems to be stirred up by two simultaneous events: (1) running water down the kitchen sink, and (2) the central air-conditioning kicking on. It is...

View more questions Search