Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
    I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

You're welcome. Okay who are you and what have you done to NK? We want him back.NOW!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 10:16 AM
    This is the real me. :)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    guess its better to say 'i dont know how it happened' than to say 'my imaginary friend did it'
    It would be more intellectually honest. I admit that my belief is a faith .He thinks science explains his faith .I say all he really did was renamed God "spontaneous creator" .

He says laws of nature like gravity cause creation .But gravity would not exist in the physical world without matter .There would be no purpose for it otherwise. Gravity did not create matter.
    So which came 1st ? Gravity or matter ? If matter came 1st then his theory is shot down. If gravity came 1st then how were the laws of nature designed ?
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    This is the real me. :)
    Cute:)
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    It would be more intellectually honest. I admit that my belief is a faith .He thinks science explains his faith .I say all he really did was renamed God "spontaneous creator" .

He says laws of nature like gravity cause creation .But gravity would not exist in the physical world without matter .There would be no purpose for it otherwise. Gravity did not create matter.
    So which came 1st ? Gravity or matter ? If matter came 1st then his theory is shot down. If gravity came 1st then how were the laws of nature designed ?
    So what about black holes, I'm pretty sure they aren't made of physical matter but they have an enormous gravitational pull?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:41 AM

A black hole is condensed and compact mass. It is not "nothing ".
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:44 AM

You're right Tomder.. We can't see the air we breath, but without it we would die. God created that also.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:48 AM

Hello again,

The which came first argument will yield NO results... What I'm interested in is infinity. Maybe God has been around forever. Certainly, the "brane" theory indicates that these membranes have been around forever.

But, I have a hard time grasping FOREVER. Don't you? I mean, it's easy in these arguments to just SAY it, and brush your hands... But, I think there NEEDS to BE a beginning.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:50 AM
    ahhh reet, I thought they were a vacumme like space, just something else going on as well.

albears knowledge on black holes = updated
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

The which came first argument will yield NO results... What I'm interested in is infinity. Maybe God has been around forever. Certainly, the "brane" theory indicates that these membranes have been around forever.

But, I have a hard time grasping FOREVER. Don't you? I mean, it's easy in these arguments to just SAY it, and brush your hands... But, I think there NEEDS to BE a beginning.

excon
    Agreed, everything has a beginning and an end
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 11:59 AM

Well... there is some theory too that space is not vacuum ;)

Here's a quite interesting one:
    ~~~~~
    Genrally
    Unlike poles attract... like poles repel
    Unlike charges attract... like charges repel
    Unlike sex 'attract'... like sex 'repel'
    So... matter attracts antimatter and matter repels matter...

Then why is there gravity?
    Space is not a vacuum, but like a field which gets distorted by matter. Just like when you are standing on a bed, the bed is compressed under your feet, space is distorted. And anything that is on the bed gets trapped towards the distortion. If you placed a ping pong ball near the edge of the bed, it'll roll down towards you.

~~~~~

It's just a though... might be true, might not be true :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 12:04 PM

This is getting into flying spaghetti monster territory but how do we know the big bang wasn't caused by someone else? From another universe?

How do we know our universe wasn't populated and contained planets before the big bang, but was destroyed, leaving all but a few remnants? Our sun is going to die eventually, maybe there was another sun beforew that, and another before that?

There are just so many possibilities. That first theory does coincide with the theory of Creation, but how do you know it's God and not someone else?

I won't go into my opinion of how God was created as I will no doubt offend a lot of people :o
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 12:11 PM

Denseness:
    A neutron star is as dense as a battleship packed into a one pint mayonnaise jar. A black hole is even more dense than that.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2010, 01:37 PM

I tend to believe gravity came first. Its force is nuetral until acted upon. Just like a magnet has a sphere of influence so does gravity. That is why it has different stages.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 01:47 PM
    But, I think there NEEDS to BE a beginning.
    Well ex, that's what we've been saying. Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created..." :D
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    This is getting into flying spaghetti monster territory but how do we know the big bang wasn't caused by someone else? From another universe?

How do we know our universe wasn't populated and contained planets before the big bang, but was destroyed, leaving all but a few remnants? Our sun is going to die eventually, maybe there was another sun beforew that, and another before that?

There are just so many possibilities. That first theory does coincide with the theory of Creation, but how do you know it's God and not someone else?

I won't go into my opinion of how God was created as I will no doubt offend a lot of people :o
    Maybe we've just been going in a big circle and eventually we advance so far that we engage planetary war with another and laugh some kind of massive overly powered super nuke or something and so do they and they collide mid space and then explode (thats the big bang) wiping ut almost everything but the tiniest of life and the evolution cycle starts all over again even the suns expanding and collapsing in on themselves and other stars being born.

Its just one big circle of life :D

If anybody lives to see this, I want you to remember I called it ;)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 3, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Well this sums it all up really ;)

TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 3, 2010, 02:14 PM
    I haven't looked at what Hawking has written but I would guess that it will turn out to be a book about a possible Grand Unified Theory (GUT).

The problem has been gravity. Why is gravity such a weak force compared to the other fundamental forces? Physicists to date haven't been able to merge gravity into the other fundamental forces. Now there seems to be a theory which accounts for the apparent weakness of gravity.

Such a theory tends to lead some scientists and cosmologists to a belief that a theory of everything is now possible. This might suggest to us non-scientists that scientific theories may eventually come to a single underlying explanation. In theory scientists will be able to predict the outcome of any experiment. I think this is what Hawking means when he talks about, "knowing the mind of God."

I think this is more of a hope on Hawkings part rather than an actual replacement of God.

Just a guess on my part.

Tut
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2010, 02:20 PM
    But, I think there NEEDS to BE a beginning.
    But that's only because you are a finite, linear-thinking kind of guy. I'm still fascinated by something Sylvia Browne said long ago that the deceased are all walking around us, but three feet up off our ground level -- sort of a parallel universe. So be sure to flush and throw your clothes into the hamper -- and make your bed every morning. Someone may be watching you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God? [ 10 Answers ]

Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God? If God died on the Cross then Mary is the Mother of God, the same logic applies to both. I say that God died on the Cross because Jesus is God and Jesus died on the Cross. I say that Mary is the Mother of God, because Jesus is God and...

Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image. [ 145 Answers ]

K, so we can argue till the cows come home, about this but there is a lot of good feed back from the last one I had, I like to hear others ideas. I"m going to simplify this one though, to avoid loosing the topic. Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that...

The Creation of the Universe and an eternal God. [ 19 Answers ]

I hope nobody sees this as a baited question. I hope you all know me well enough to know that I'm just here as a genuinely interested party, wondering how certain inconsistancies (as I see them) are explained in religious creation. If God is perfect, and God is eternal, why did he suddenly feel...

Did god create the Earth or the universe? [ 16 Answers ]

And why is god assumed to have a human form - is this so that it helps us to relate to him more easily. Otherwise I don't understand why if god created the universe be would happen to be human, rather than any of the other potentially millions of lifeforms which exist across the universe.

View more questions Search