Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dembajang Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 09:18 PM
    Please help me to solve this problem for me
    In a contest, students a, B, and C will take turns to answer one randomly chosen question each time, starting with A. If a student gives a wrong answer to a question, he drops out of the game. The remaining two will continue to compete until one of them drops out. The last person remaining is the winner. Suppose that a student knows the answer to any one question independently of the other students, with probability p. Calculate the probabilities of the following cases: (a) C drops out first; (b) C drops out first, A next and B wins.

I would be grateful if you could please help me to solve this questions for me please

Thanks.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 10:42 AM

I think that the question is wrongly formulated, if I look at your other probability questions...

Anyway, I'll take it that this contest ends in a minimum number of rounds.

(a) P(C drops out first) = P(A knows answer) x P(B knows answer) x P(C doesn't know answer)
    = p x p x (1-p)

Now, you can simplify.

(b) P(C drops out first, A next and B wins) = P(C drops out first) x P(A doesn't know the answer)

You already know the probability that C drops out first from part (a). You know the probability that A does not know the answer. And since only B is left, (s)he wins automatically.

Post what you get! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I solve the problem by elimination? [ 1 Answers ]

solve by elimination 2x-4y=18,5x+2y=33.

Sumif problem or how to solve it? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Excel lovers. Today after a long time I have come back here with a new problem. I hope some expert will help me in it. I am working in some cash flow projections in excel. One sheet named "Monthly cashflows" contains the data for inflows and outflows. The other sheet named "loans" contains...

Help me to solve problem with my father [ 1 Answers ]

Hi friends I am married I have 11 months old daughter. I am in my fathers home, my hubby is abroad. My father takes care of me and my child. Two days before me and my father had some arguments he shouted at me, and beat me once because of my fault. I scold my mother that's why he get angry and...

(3/2)-3 how do I solve this problem [ 1 Answers ]

(3/2)-3 how do I solve this problem

Will Religion Solve the Problem? [ 15 Answers ]

As an uneasy truce between Israel and Hezbollah continues, millions of average men and women in the Holy Land are turning to the one simple comfort that has always seen them through the darkest days of their troubled history: the steadfast guidance of their religious faith. Arabs and Israelis...

View more questions Search