Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajqaj2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 03:21 PM
    Sealing a joint on a drain line
    I had our home built 5 years ago. Recently, the joint in the drain line detached and water poored from the walls into out basement. What is the expected life of these joint. I thought the plastic piping was so post last at lease 10 - 15 years if silicone or plumber putty was used to seal the joint. Is this true?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 03:48 PM

By plastic piping I assume you mean PVC. PVC will be here when they dig up our bones in the future centuries. PVC is joined together using glue which is really not a glue but a solvent. The glue or solvent softens the surfaces of the PVC and the two pieces fuse together. Sort of like welding.

So why did the joint come apart? Improperly made joint. Most likely someone forgot to glue it. Assuming that the two pieces will go back together, get some PVC glue and primer if the pipe is white. Get some ABS glue if the pipe is black. Apply some primer to the pipe and the fitting. Then apply some glue to the pipe and the fitting, shove together and hold for 10 seconds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I take apart 4 inch cast iron drain line at a joint [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace toilet flange it is cast iron it is hooked to 4 inch cast iron pipe how do I remove pipe from elbow

Sealing unused sink drain pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I have an unused bar sink and I want to remove the sink and need to know how to seal the drain-pipe under the counter. I don't want to remove it in case I ever want to re-use the drain.

Shower drain - sealing off [ 5 Answers ]

My 3rd bathoom has a small ceramic tile shower which no one uses. (Recently, I have had an influx of large cockroaches coming out of the drain. I have no idea how they get into the drain, but they do.) In the short term, I have duct-taped the drain closed. My preference is to completely remove...

Foot Locker Drain Not Sealing [ 1 Answers ]

The drain mechanism is still intact. It opperates up and down, but the down is not far enough down to seal the drain and prevent the water from draining. Like the others I have turned and turned the stopper, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Also, there is no trash, or debris, under the seal. ...

Sealing steel bathtub drain [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I am having my old cast-iron stack replaced with PVC so that I can add a third floor bathroom. The first and second floor toilet and tub connections were also replaced, with one problem. We can't get the new drain for the second floor tub to seal properly. The tub is steel and the rim of...

View more questions Search