Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abraham34 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 12:17 PM
    About AVG anti virus security
    Decided to down load AVG free, system never worked properly afterwards so have un-installed for the moment. I use XP with service pack 2 ~ no other conflicting programmes as far as I know ~ might I just not have enough memory with appx. 10 gb spare? I am puzzled, any clues helpful
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 12:20 PM

For starters, XP is up to Service pack 3, I'd recommend getting all the updates as well. THere are a HUGE number of vulnerabilities fixed since SP2. That leaves less for any security software to protect from.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2010, 12:02 AM

I agree with the above post. And since AVG is already uninstalled, go to the program files directory and delete the AVG folder. THen after all your updates are installed reboot then install avg again. If you have any issues then post the error messages.
    Abraham34 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 01:57 AM

Many thanks, I'm going to do a bit of tidying up pronto
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Oct 9, 2010, 02:30 PM
    I agree with smoothy, get SP3. You may download it from Windows Update. Once that is installed, go back to Windows Update and download the available updates - including Internet Explorer 8, if you haven't done so yet. There is more than enough memory for AVG free but if you don't want to use that and you want another free anti-virus program, check out MS Essentials at:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Avg free anti virus [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using avg free edition on both my office and home computers. When I try to update; I'm getting the message ".bin file missing". Please help, if you can.

Laptop With Avg Anti Virus Found A Change hosts file [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a laptop that I think is still infected with some sort of malware. AVG has found (and I think removed) the following: Trojan horse SHeur.AZZX in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.laptop\Local Settings\Temp\comsvr32.exe.bak Trojan horse Generic8.ACMU in...

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

AVG Anti-Virus Scan Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition. When I run a full system scan manually, the test comes back complete with no virus found and no errors. However, when I schedule a test to run automatically at a specific time, the result always comes back with 13 viruses found. Specifically, various trojan...

AVG Anti Virus getting erros [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi Using Winxp Home I can install the free version (not the trial) the actual free version of AVG anti virus, the install is OK When I try to open it and use it I get a "Missing DLL SHELL" error AVG will not help because I am using the "free" version Any ideas? Have uninstalled and...

View more questions Search