Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ms_chip Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 11:08 AM
    How do I find out if my mother applied to become a U S Citizen
    My mother is now deceased.

I dont mind following the proper procedure.

Is there a link that can guide me to get the correct information?

Sep 2, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Who can I trust to find private information on my mother?
    Is there a trustworhty company/business that I can forward information onto about my mother who can assist with locating information on her such as bank accounts, isurance policies, unclaimed money/property?

I am not looking to do anything ilegally, I can provide as much information I can, I am not from the US - I am from the Caribbean this is why I am looking for a company in the US that can help.

I have googled some but not sure If I won't get scammed.

Thank You
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 12:07 PM

Out of curiousity... is she living (and if she is why didn't you ask her)... and why do you need this information.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2010, 12:10 PM

Yes before we can recommend anything it would help to know what the issue is here.

Sep 2, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Out of curiousity....is she living (and if she is why didn't you ask her)...and why do you need this information.

No Smoothy, she is deceased.

Sep 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Yes before we can recommend anything it would help to know what the issue is here.
    The issue is as follows: my father has been asking me for months to look into what she may have in the states, and I have just decided to "push" the issue" now

She was married and divorced 2 American men, had a ssn and also worked in the states.

Sep 2, 2010, 12:17 PM

Ok, Do you know approximately where in the states she lived?

Sep 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Ok, Do you know approximately where in the states she lived?
    Applied for her ssn in NY (thats what it looks like to me), worked in TN and more than likely lived in those 2 states.

Im thinking she may have lived in more states
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ms_chip View Post
    Applied for her ssn in NY (thats what it looks like to me), worked in TN and more than likely lived in those 2 states.

Im thinking she may have lived in more states
    Her SSN work history should have tracked when she worked and lived.

Banks aren't as easy since she might have had accounts in small local banks or larger national ones.

Problem is many of these records are not accessible without the proper identification or authority, and for good reason thanks to Identity theft crimes. Abandoned accounts would eventually be released by the Banks... but claiming them without a Will unless you are named as a beneficiary if you discover any might prove impossible.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 12:53 PM

Why do you need this. If its to gain acess yourself, keep in mind, applying for citizenship is only the first step to actually getting it, both in paperwork and time.

Did she actually have a green card? Or are you referring to her application for a green card? Or are you referring to the application for naturalization? These are all separate steps in the process. How far along she may have been may determine how likely you are to find any information.

Sep 2, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Her SSN work history should have tracked when she worked and lived.

Banks aren't as easy since she might have had accounts in small local banks or larger national ones.

Problem is many of these records are not accessible without the proper identification or authority, and for good reason thanks to Identity theft crimes. Abandoned accounts would eventualy be released by the Banks...but claiming them without a Will unless you are named as a beneficiary if you discover any might prove impossible.

Thank you, I will try and recover some information from ssn, I don't mind sending the proper info to a bank if I was actually able to located one, thanks

Sep 2, 2010, 01:18 PM
    Why do you need this. If its to gain acess yourself, keep in mind, applying for citizenship is only the first step to actually getting it, both in paperwork and time.

Did she actually have a green card? or are you refering to her application for a green card? Or are you reffering to the application for naturalization? These are all seperate steps in the process. How far along she may have been may determine how likely you are to find any information.
    Im not sure if she had a green card, but I'm sure she had a ssn

Smoothy, If I found out first if she applied for a green card, that would make any questions on my behalf easier, correct or wrong?

Sep 2, 2010, 01:46 PM

Do you know if she had a will?

Sep 2, 2010, 01:55 PM

Yes, everything linked to her caribbean assets

Sep 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
    Yes she did everything was linked to her caribbean assests
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ms_chip View Post
    Im not sure if she had a green card, but im sure she had a ssn

Smoothy, If I found out first if she applied for a green card, that would make any questions on my behalf easier, correct or wrong?
    It would allow you to narrow the focus of your search... and that should help you.

Sep 2, 2010, 05:00 PM

If she left a will, I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. If there was a will the executor should be made aware of all assets.

Sep 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Scott, I am trying to find out where to start to find out if she had anything in the states as far property, unclamied assests, bank accounts, all I need is for someone to handle what I cannot, most companies I can either write or send in request for certain things but that's as far as I can go, Im hoping you understand me.

By the way the man who was in charge of her will, the lawyer, was a very dishonest man
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:42 AM

I'm an investigator, in NY - I'm not sure what you are asking. The Attorney (if there was a Will) is the person who is entitled to this information free of charge from any State which is familiar to me. It's part of discovering assets.

When you say the Attorney was in charge of the Will - he is/was the Executor? I don't understand why he's in charge.

If you are looking for accounts in the US the national banks can be contacted directly. If your mother had stocks, unless she handled her own portfolio, there is someone handling that.

Each State has a registry for unclaimed property. Where SPECIFICALLY do you think she lived?

I CAN run NY for you as well as a handful of other States - BUT that depends on the status of the Attorney regarding the estate.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 10:00 AM

Hello ms:

Ain't none of MY business WHY you want to hire a PI. You just asked if you can trust 'em. If they're LICENSED, you probably can. That doesn't mean they're any GOOD. You can find any number of 'em in the locale you're interested in. Call a few up and talk to them.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am an indian citizen, I applied J1 from germany [ 0 Answers ]

I am an Indian citizen, I applied J1 visa to US from Germany. In the visa that I got indicates that I am not subjected to 212(E) rule. I wish to know whether the INA 212(e) two-year foreign residence applies to me or not.

Help me find the manufacturing overhead applied [ 1 Answers ]

Direct materials 63,150 Direct labor Manufacturing overhead Total manufacturing cost 213,000 Work in process 1/1 18000 Total cost of work in process 213000 Work in process 9000 Total of cost of goods manufactured 222,000 How do I find the manufacturing overhead?

Polish citizen mother of british citizen can I qualify for british passport [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Polish citizen and have been in Britain for several years. My sons father is British and we live as partners. My son has a British birth certificate. Can I apply for a British passport

US citizen petitioning mother with two daughters under 21 [ 1 Answers ]

It was my understanding that as a US citizen, you could petition your parent and this would automatically include any children under 21. My sisters are 19 and 16 years old. I just received a processing fee bill which only includes my mother and not my 2 sisters. I called the National Visa Center...

View more questions Search