Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ms_chip Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello ms:

Ain't none of MY business WHY you want to hire a PI. You just asked if you can trust 'em. If they're LICENSED, you probably can. That doesn't mean they're any GOOD. You can find any number of 'em in the locale you're interested in. Call a few up and talk to them.

excon
    Its OK, there is nothing fishy going on here.
    I am from the caribbean so ask me anything about where Im from or the islands, I don't know much about the United States... but I do know from watching a lot of T.V people get scammed online all the time and I don't want to end up being a victim that's all.

I can Google and Google and come up with hundreds of answers but who says I will end up picking the right one? How do I tell if they are LICENSED, is there a number that come up on there web page or afther there name?

Sep 7, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm an investigator, in NY - I'm not sure what you are asking. The Attorney (if there was a Will) is the person who is entitled to this information free of charge from any State which is familiar to me. It's part of discovering assets.

When you say the Attorney was in charge of the Will - he is/was the Executor? I don't understand why he's in charge.

If you are looking for accounts in the US the national banks can be contacted directly. If your mother had stocks, unless she handled her own portfolio, there is someone handling that.

Each State has a registry for unclaimed property. Where SPECIFICALLY do you think she lived?

I CAN run NY for you as well as a handful of other States - BUT that depends on the status of the Attorney regarding the estate.
    I recently obtained her SSN after going through the process, since she married 2 american men and lived and worked over there I'm just trying to find out if she has/had anything of value that can be passed onto her children (I would be happy just to get a copy of her DL/ with her picture on it) I know I am limited and the information I have is limited, can I ask you this for starters... would social security be willing to list where she worked if they have a history trail?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ms_chip View Post
    Its ok, there is nothing fishy going on here.
    I am from the caribbean so ask me anything about where Im from or the islands, I dont know much about the United States...but I do know from watching alot of T.V people get scammed online all the time and I dont want to end up being a victim thats all.

I can google and google and come up with hundreds of answers but who says I will end up picking the right one? How do I tell if they are LICENSED, is there a number that come up on there web page or afther there name?

You call and ASK if they're licensed and bonded and insured; you ask for references; you ask what the hourly charge is; you ask how much of this type of work they've done (if it's an investigator who spends the majority of his/her time doing surveillances you are wasting your money); you ask for a full report of what was done and what the result was.

That's how you know.

You hire NO ONE without a conversation with a rep of the firm or talking directly to the lead investigator.

We're like any other industry - some are good, some are bad, some are indifferent. You use your head. Would you pick a Doctor based on a phone book or internet site? Probably not. Same thing applies here.

If you are asking someone to search EVERY State for assets it is going to be a pricey process - even if the Investigator sends a form letter, expect it to cost. Then there's follow up, the cost of the report, all of that.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:20 PM
    I recently obtained her SSN after going through the process, since she married 2 american men and lived and worked over there im just trying to find out if she has/had anything of value that can be passed onto her children (I would be happy just to get a copy of her DL/ with her picture on it) I know I am limited and the information I have is limited, can I ask you this for starters........would social security be willing to list where she worked if they have a history trail?

I can't answer this until you answer MY questions - for one, what is the relationship of the Attorney to the estate?

I don't know if you have any legal standing and, no, I do not believe SS will provide this info to you unless you have a compelling reason to need it. What is your compelling reason (and curiosity is not a reason).

Where are the husbands and/or ex-husbands in all of this?

Sep 7, 2010, 12:33 PM
    I can't answer this until you answer MY questions - for one, what is the relationship of the Attorney to the estate?

I don't know if you have any legal standing and, no, I do not believe SS will provide this info to you unless you have a compelling reason to need it. What is your compelling reason (and curiosity is not a reason).

Where are the husbands and/or ex-husbands in all of this?
    My mother is deceased, during her relationship with my father (her last relationship) she spoke of various things (back and fourth with my father) she has left a will and all assests where left to her children which we are aware of but as my father gets up in age he keeps bringing up the topic about I need to find out what (IF ANY) my mother left in the states, he has given me some information from his memory.

I don't know what the attorney's relationship is to the estate, we never had to come in contact with him because everything was clearly written out in the will.

Its more than curiosity because my father is the one pushing me to do this, if I come up with nothing at least I tried.

Her american ex husbands 1 is dead and the other told me he cannot provide much information because he cannot remember.

Im not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Sep 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    It would allow you to narrow the focus of your search...and that should help you.
    Thanks Im getting somewhere I think:D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Im not sure if im making myself clear.
    Hello again, ms:

I don't know why it matters. We're NOT investigators. Judy told you exactly HOW to hire one and NOT get cheated. She ought to know. She IS one.

I know, you want us to agree with what you're doing. Who cares whether we agree or not? You want to find out stuff? Then hire a PI, and go find out stuff.

excon

Sep 7, 2010, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, ms:

I don't know why it matters. We're NOT investigators. Judy told you exactly HOW to hire one and NOT get cheated. She ought to know. She IS one.

I know, you want us to agree with what you're doing. Who cares whether we agree or not?? You wanna find out out stuff. Then hire a PI, and go find out stuff.

excon
    It doesn't matter but was just trying to clarify myself so she could have answered a question or two she did state before she did I would need to answers her questions (not said exactly like that but summing it up)

Was just hoping to get some helpful sites and lead in the right direction but I have basically gotten the jest of what needs to be done.

Thanks Everyone... :)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:47 PM

It is a nation of 350 million people across 50 states and several territories. Toss in privacy laws to discourage Identity theft then you understand, 9,158,960 square kilometers (3,536,274 square miles) are land, while there are 470,131 square kilometers (181,517 square miles) of water.

Compare to your island, or even the total of the Carribian.

We have a saying... "its like finding needle in a haystack."
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:50 PM
    Thanks Im getting somewhere I think:D
    Ms.Chip you need to have your threads merged since both are about your Mother.

Sep 7, 2010, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Ms.Chip you need to have your threads merged since both are about your Mother.
    Instruct me how please
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
    It doesnt matter but was just trying to clarify myself so she could have answered a question or two she did state before she did I would need to answers her questions (not said exactly like that but summing it up)

was just hoping to get some helpful sites and lead in the right direction but I have basically gotten the jest of what needs to be done.

Thanks Everyone.....:)

Judy wants to know the Attorney's relationship to the Estate - executor, something else?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
    Instruct me how please
    I'll ask the mods to do it.

Sep 7, 2010, 12:56 PM
    Judy wants to know the Attorney's relationship to the Estate - executor, something else?
    Yes, and if I can remember correctly only until we turned a certain age.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 01:07 PM

You have to find out what the Will said - without that info you are wasting your time, my time, everyone else's time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am an indian citizen, I applied J1 from germany [ 0 Answers ]

I am an Indian citizen, I applied J1 visa to US from Germany. In the visa that I got indicates that I am not subjected to 212(E) rule. I wish to know whether the INA 212(e) two-year foreign residence applies to me or not.

Help me find the manufacturing overhead applied [ 1 Answers ]

Direct materials 63,150 Direct labor Manufacturing overhead Total manufacturing cost 213,000 Work in process 1/1 18000 Total cost of work in process 213000 Work in process 9000 Total of cost of goods manufactured 222,000 How do I find the manufacturing overhead?

Polish citizen mother of british citizen can I qualify for british passport [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Polish citizen and have been in Britain for several years. My sons father is British and we live as partners. My son has a British birth certificate. Can I apply for a British passport

US citizen petitioning mother with two daughters under 21 [ 1 Answers ]

It was my understanding that as a US citizen, you could petition your parent and this would automatically include any children under 21. My sisters are 19 and 16 years old. I just received a processing fee bill which only includes my mother and not my 2 sisters. I called the National Visa Center...

View more questions Search