Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confuzzledmonkey Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Keep helping him to learn but my mother knows a family with two children both labeled as gifted at an early age and both of them find it hard or impossible to make new friends or face new environment without throwing tantrums (6 + 9), this is because the children were often kept alone learning things. I myself was labeled gifted at 8 or 9 but I didn't enjoy being taken out on my own.

Keep helping him learn but don't try and force him to live on brains alone, hep him be sociable and kep letting him play witjh other children, A good idea is too find a child slightly older or not who is also bright enough to keep with your son and have them play together often this will improve his sociability and could potentially be enducational for both of them.
    LouB Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2007, 05:02 AM
    The WIPPSI is designed for kids 2-5 I think (verbal). The WISC V is then used after that. Mirica Gross is a saint in the field of Gifted ed.

I certainly agree with the "Let them be kids" sentiment, you just provide access to what they need/ask for if you can.

The reference before by Tallarin to her friend's overscheduled children is not at all related to the children's giftedness but to a overzealous parents who definitely need to help their children learn about life-balance! And it should be noted that all the opportunities in the world does not MAKE a child gifted.

Instead of amateur advice from anonymous online posters (which are essentially meaningless) I think you need to look to the volumes of peer reviewed research for directions at times. The support of those who have been through similar things will also be valuable to you. You sound like you are on your way to becoming an expert in the field, which is the only way to effectively be your child's best advocate when he eventually does get to school.

Montessori is a fabulous environment/philosophy for gifted children. They too will need to be prepared for advanced development however, so be prepared to meet with them with "evidence" as well. The philosophy itself is very conducive to meeting the individual needs of children (no matter whether gifted or average or leering disabled). Most GT kids thrive in Montessori.

For now, enjoy him (as it sounds as though you are doing!). Time slips by all too fast and we never get it back again. Being prepared for what may lie ahead is terrific, and I am sure you will provide a warm secure and suitable world for your little man to thrive in. Just be a guide and a follower, listen to your heart, your instincts (they are so rarely wrong!). Most importantly listen to your son, he will be the one to tell you what is right and what is not - trust him.

... oh and I would recommend developing a thick skin against all those who judge you, who tell you that you are pushing your kids when you know you are not, all these who tell you different strategies do and don't work and all those who think you ar exaggerating skills and abilities... you know the truth, and mostly these people (while meaning well) are uninformed in the field (and the specifics of YOUR child) and it certainly brings to the fore people's own insecurities (albeit unconsciously no doubt). You know your kids better than anyone, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    rainrad2002 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 05:25 AM
    LouB, Thank you for your helpful input as well as some of the input by other posters. I have been doing quite a bit of research lately and you are correct that comments by people who are uninformed are of no use to me. I guess when I posted the question I was under the impression that an "expert" would answer my question but as we can see there are no real experts answering these questions on this board. The heading "live answers from real experts" at the top of the board is quite misleading. I would not have bothered asking if I had known I would not be getting a reply from someone who has experience in this field professionally.

He is a great kid, and we are providing him with a loving secure home and plenty of different situations involving structured activities (a day care that is more like a pre-school), going to the park, playing with friends children, travelling etc. He is not in the least bothered about changes to his environment and is a happy content little guy. As you say, life-balance is very important and is something that quite a few people haven't quite learned yet.

I am going to continue to go by my instincts as you suggest, and read up on Mrica Gross (have heard about her, just need to get one of her books).

Thanks again...

Cheers,
    Lorraine

Jun 4, 2007, 05:38 AM
    In some ways the heading is right Lorraine... we are *all* experts if we trust our own instincts... but I can see what you mean.

Your little man is obviously very lucky... and adaptable! Modelling (as in habits, balance etc) is the best teaching a kid can get!

Are you in Australia by chance.. If so there are a few places to go for info (though you've probably already seen them if you've been on the resrach trail!). Miraca is Aussie, world renowned in her field and she works for GERRIC (aligned with University for New South Wales). There are other connections too, let me know of they could be of any use to you. I'm no expert either, just another parent who had to get informed.

Cheers,
    Lou

Jun 4, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Hi Lou,

Yes, we are currently living in Australia (Alice Springs) and will be relocating back to the US in a year or two. There is currently no support here in town for gifted children, and as every child is different it would have been nice to have access to someone who understands gifted children locally. There was a lady who did but she left a few months ago. So I am currently relying on internet research (helpful but too general). There are some fantastic interviews with Miraca available online which have been really helpful, especially in understanding what gifted children need as far as education. She really understands the misconceptions many people have about gifted children, and is very aware that in Australia there is a tendendcy to want/expect gifted children to be just like other children which doesn't help.

I think for my son the Montessori school will be the preferred option, there are many of them in the area where we will be living in the US. It appears that these schools provide your child interaction with other children of all abilities and allows them to learn at their own individual pace while avoiding being singled out. I was bullied a lot as a young child and it was really traumatic for me. Bullying is something I want to avoid for my child, and I am concerned that if he is in a regular public school and then pulled out for the "special" classes or programs that he will be a target for bullies.

I have seen the major websites dealing with gifted children (Hoagies Gifted, Gifted Children.com, etc) and all are quite helpful. I guess I will have to wait until we move out of Alice to get direct assistance and advice. My son will be about 4 years old when we go back to the US, hopefully we will have enough time to research schools and find the best one for him and get him in.

If you have any other info let me know, thanks for your help!

Cheers,
    Lorraine

Jun 5, 2007, 12:55 AM
    I thought I detected an Aussie accent ;)

The reason I asked (since I got the feeling you also wanted to know more in the field) is to let you know (if you didn't already!) that there are some fantastic local listserves that deal with gifted kids, in fact I owe a lot of what I leanred from parents and educators on those lists. The best (IMHO) can be accessed through giftedfamilies.org. These are all Aus families, parents and teachers. You can hang out and not post too - just soak up the info, or you can ask questions directly, they are extremely supportive. I'd recommend setting membership to digest as it can be quite a busy list at times (though not always). There's no advertising or anything crappy like that, it's free and easy. I can't remember anyone from Alice on there I could check? Just an idea anyhoo.

Good luck with your search, before you know it you will be an expert (and back here advising others I'll bet :p !)

Cheers,
    Lou

Jun 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Thanks again Lou! Will definitely check it out!

Cheers,
    Lorraine : )
    tonesbones Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Jun 6, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonesbones
    It doesn't take an expert to at least advise you of one step to take: don't leave your kid at day-care.
    You are the mom, be the mom. I have a feeling the day care lady can't provide what your child needs, even if they are an "expert". But hey, that's an opinion! Many others might tell you different out there these days.
    Good luck!

I guess I'll just make another post to defend my last.

"LouB disagrees: what rubbish tonesbones, who are you to judge?"

I was saying, I'm not sure how you can a take a general statement like that and construe it as a judgment. I would have said the same thing to a one-legged swamp rat. "Rubbish" you say? I think it's great that this person has a gifted child, but gifted or not, kids need a mom. Let me point out, again, that this is my opinion and let LouB know that it doesn't take much to criticize another's opinion.

Jun 6, 2007, 11:35 PM
    I could go into the lengthy and numerous ways in which your post could be contrued as insulting to people who have little choice but to use child care facilities... and quality ones as has been indicated by Rainrad what's more... though I do get the distinct feeling you may simply looking for a debate on the issue?

Perhaps I am "one of the many out there" who tells a different story. Quality early childhood education, especially for gifted kids, is essential in helping them find a sense of self and fulfillment. Until you know a gifted child's thirst to learn I postulate that you cannot understand how this comes to be. I understand it can seem counter-intuative to some to want to put their kids into daycare, or that daycare could actually provide something that parents can not, but fromexperience you need ot be careful about making some sweeping judgements and generalisations. All this coming from a committed Ap parent, who'd thought huh? Having a giftedchild certainly puts things into perspective about children's needs I can tell you that!

Many gifted kids need the stimulation of a quality early learning centre, and some need more than that. This is in no way to imply that any child shouldn't be loved and cared for at home with parents for as much time as possible/suitable. Every situation is different and to impart the advice of "don't *leave* your kid at daycare" is to deny that some parents actually chose this for a reason, and denigrates the decision of parents to make choices about their children's early learning experiences. It could potentially offend anyone who did not have a choice about their work arrangemenst also.

So again, I ask, who are you to judge?

Jun 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Tonesbones,

With all due respect, I was not asking for anyone's opinion about whether my child should be going to the child care centre. I am not too interested in what you or anyone else thinks about my son going to a very good daycare 2 or 3 days a week. He loves going, and it provides him with opportunities I cannot give him at home. He also loves being home with us the other 4 or 5 days. There is such a thing as balance and moderation in life, I do not feel like my child needs to be with me 24 hours a day. Lou has hit the nail on the head. If you would like to answer my original question please do, but otherwise keep your opinion to yourself when you have not been asked for it.

Cheers,
    Lorraine
    tonesbones Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Jun 8, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Ok, truth be told, LouB did hit the nail on the head; but the only nail hit was that I am in this for the debate. I admit, it's entertaining to me. Hey, you post in a public forum, you're asking for my opinion. Unfortunately, you might just get an opinion that doesn't sit well with you for whatever reason. It apparently didn't sit well with either of you. The problem is, neither of you were able to tell me how a general statement like mine could be construed as a judgment. Yes, you tried to twist it around and tell me that it could be construed as insulting, but I didn't ask if you were insulted, I actually knew you'd be insulted when I first left the post! It was harsh but it was true! So, I'm sorry that you took offense. But let it be known, I still am of the opinion that children should not be left at day care, you sit there with your child, it no longer is day care. I have no idea about your situation, you could be an eye-less pirate (can't you tell I like this part?) for all I care. Until next time,
    Tonus, the Bonus.

Jun 8, 2007, 11:24 PM
    As I said before, I couldn't care less what your opinion is. I am not insulted, I make my own decisions for my own reasons and what you think is irrelevant. Since you are only interested in dabating, I will not answer any more of your posts. It is not worth my time.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Hi I'm Taylor I am a gifted student myself and would consider him "gifted" on the grounds that he is a two year old that likes reading and puzzles.I am a fith grader and am going to a gifted school and I was assessed that was how my intelligence was measured but don't
    Agree about giving an IQ test to an infant.I also think that you should watch him as he further developes.If he continues to watch videos and do puzzles I would have him assessed,IF he continues.Some toddlers show characteristics of "gifted" and are dumbed- down as they grow.Make sure to keep his mind stimulated.I also think my little cousin (also 2) is gifted!Hope I helped you with your toddler.

Apr 4, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Thank you for your help Taylor, as he is so young we will just make sure he has plenty to do that interests him as you mentioned. Thinking that a private school, maybe Montessori would be a good option in a couple of years when it is time to start school. Thank you for your suggestions!
    ADmama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 09:08 AM
    RainRad2002: I know your post was quite some time ago but hopefully you are still able to see the answers to this post you have. I am having a similar issue with my 2 year old son and not quite sure what to do about it. Of course there isn't much information out there to guide you on what to do in this situation. My son exhibits the same abilities as your son at 2 years old and then some (I'm sure you didn't list everything he could do). My concern is that I was preferring to keep my son at home with me until pre-K at least and after realizing that his abilities weren't necessarily typical of other children his age I'm wondering if I should be doing more. I can't really afford a private school but don't want him to feel "out of place" somewhere else either. He's very social and I'm already seeing disappointment in his eyes when he walks up to other kids his age asking them to share his ball with him and saying Hi to everyone, he gets ignored even by adults. So carrying this into a typical preschool, I'm wondering if he will feel out of place and become withdrawn. My husband is "gifted" although he won't openly admit it, he was strongly discouraged in his family to carry on with the behavior and intelligence that came natural to him. Not sure where to go from here and wondering what came about with your son since this post? Clearly it's difficult to post something like this because people really don't understand. I'm also stuck on what to teach him next considering he already knows many things that apparently they don't learn or comprehend until age 4-5. I figure the next step is learning how to read because he understands the sounds of all the letters and can count up to 20 as well as having an extensive vocabulary and can speak in full sentences and have conversations, but he doesn't have the desire to do that and I will not push learning something by any means. I let him lead in that in that department. He brings flashcards and books to me and says "school time!", not the other way around. Any advice you can give would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    despinamom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 08:37 AM
    Hi I have a sone names James as well and his milestones are shocking us. At 24 months he does 63piece puzzles with ease, counts to fifty and is learning to read. He learned capital and lower case letter by 18 months. I can list many many more things. He is now 22 months and is obsessed with car logos. He knows over 40 of them. And learned them in two days. TWO days.
    Incredible memory. And incredible thirst to learn. I do not push him too hard. I REPEAT, I do NOT push him. He genuinely wants to learn from the moment he wakes to the moment he sleeps.

We are interested in having him assessed.

All I want is to provide him with the care and education he requires.

I agree with Gumshoe.

Concerned mom,
    Despina
    despinamom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 08:38 AM

Sorry about all my typos... writing too fast!
    cgunter78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Hi. I am a stay at home mom with two children, ages 6 and 2. I found this as I was searching for information on my two year old daughter. I was also a "gifted" child. I was able to read from the Bible just after my fourth birthday, could count to 100 at 2 1/2 and knew my letters and numbers really early. I grew up in a rural school system that wasn't really equipped for gifted children. When I was tested to enter the first grade (I didn't attend Kindergarten), I scored at a third and fourth grade level. Out of fear, my parents kept me at my age level and didn't advance me. I had a lot of struggles in elementary school. I was very bored and was constantly in trouble for conduct.
    Now I have a 25-month-old who knows her letters, numbers, shapes, and colors and I believe she is a gifted child. Luckily, I am homeschooling my six-year-old son this year because he was diagnosed with a learning disability at the end of his kindergarten year after we had him independently tested. We asked his school for testing, but the school did NOTHING and kept making excuses. Now he's making A's and B's because he is getting the one-on-one he needs to help him understand. I feel that homeschooling will be beneficial to both of my children because I will be able to give them an education based on their individual level and abilities. I have seen and heard about teachers who make the brighter ones teach the others or even ridicule them for knowing things. Either situation doesn't benefit the growth of the gifted child. I never thought that I would be a home-school mom; however, now I think it's going to be crucial for both my children so they can reach their full potential and not allow anyone to limit what they can become. I know homeschooling is a hard choice and it's scary (and not everyone can or should do it). We are doing an online public school called K12, so we have help from a teacher and a support system. I wish you and your daughter well. Good luck to both of us! :)
    axel2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
    While reading your post, I thought you were describing my 25-month old son. I'm a speech-language pathologist and new something was "different" at around 10 months. He knew his alphabet (upper and lower case), numbers 1-30, shapes, colours (even tan, beige, light blue, dark blue, etc.) at 19 months. He knows all of his concepts and knew all the planets in the solar system before 23 months of age. He would much rather entertain adults than children. He'd rather watch educational videos any day and wants to know what items such as nuts, bolts, constellations, comets, stethescope, barometer, calculator, etc. are instead of your basic noum and verbs. His communication is at par with typical peers and his socialization appears to be within normal limits. At 20 minths, he was given a "provisional" diagnosis of high functioning autism,by a leading researcher in the country. We are working with a ton of professionals on this. Forget trying to put him in a "gifted" program. He needs to learn how to play and socialize with his peers in an appropriate manner as these skills are just as if not even more important for his development. Now, he just needs to be a kid.
    julie36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
    My granddaughter must be gifted too then as she does all these things you have listed and more and she is 17 months old. It is just her and I home all day. She also can dribble a ball and also color pictures (outside the lines too of course) she mimics ballet she sees on TV as well, counts to 10 knows by sight to 10, knows alphabet by sight , reads small words etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bright Red Period [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I recently started my period and this time it is bright red. It has never been like this, I could have swore I was pregnant. I had every symptom of pregnancy. I was vomiting, headaches, cramping, fatigue, and nasuea. Does anyone know what a bright red period means? Thanks

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

Are there any scholarships for gifted kids in elem [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any scholarships for gifted kids in elem. School

Tax on Funds Gifted [ 9 Answers ]

If funds are are gifted to you from someone abroad - out of the US, is there a threshold in which I do not have to report it for tax purposes? Any insight would be helpful.

View more questions Search