Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Dec 25, 2006, 10:59 PM
    Air conditioner condenser air temp
    I was wondering if the temp coming form the outdoor condenser should be really warm, like that coming out of a furnace, or just mildly warm, like around 90. Does the temp coming out have anything to do with performance or cost?

I ask this because I live in an apartment, and the downstairs condenser for another unit blows out much cooler air than mine. Is he not paying as much or something?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Yes, and yes. The coil needs cleaned, it is overcharged or the fan is not running up to speed if it is to warm.

Dec 26, 2006, 09:13 AM
    The coil definitely needs to be cleaned. The problem is, that will never happen because the maintenance doesn't believe in condenser coil cleaning.

The airflow coming from mine is not as strong as the downstairs one, and it is warmer. The fan is running at the same speed though.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTyphoon
    The coil definitely needs to be cleaned. The problem is, that will never happen because the maintenance doesn't believe in condenser coil cleaning.

The airflow coming from mine is not as strong as the downstairs one, and it is warmer. The fan is running at the same speed though.
    If they don't clean it they will be replacing it soon

Dec 26, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Nope, that would mean they would be replacing all 280 or so condensers in our apartment complex...

They are 16 to 17 years old, have never been cleaned, and will not be replaced unless they break.

Dec 28, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Anyway, since replacing isn't an option, what do you recommend I do to clean it? I have no hose connection around so I can't use that to clean it. I don't know if I am allowed to call an AC tech to do it...
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2006, 02:47 PM
    You really need to use a garden hose to clean it. I would just complain to the leasing office every other day that you have not enough cooling until it is fixed right. After sometime refuse to pay your lease, but put the money in an escrow account in case they threaten to evict, I don't know about your state landlord/tenant laws, but around here they favor the tenant over the landlord when it comes to maintenance issues

Dec 30, 2006, 09:47 AM
    The thing is, the air conditioner cools to its max extent (it is very small for the apartment) and the vent temp ranges from 52-56 degrees, which is cool enough.

No matter how much I tell them, they simply won't clean it. They believe it will never get dirty, and as long as that fan spins, it is working 100% fine. They don't understand that it can get dirty over time and that affects cost.

That's my main problem. I don't know if I am paying more because the condenser is dirty...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioner will not cool. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved into a condo with central air. The air worked great when we moved in this summer, but during the month of November it cooled off, so we turned off the AC. During that time a maintenance guy came by to replace the fluid or something (I'm sorry I can't remember what it was he was...

Central air condenser not shutting off [ 1 Answers ]

Our ouside central air unit continues to run. The inside unit (blower) shuts down. The blower will shut down for a minute or 2 & then come back on. The themostat never seems to go below 80. It does blow cool air. A few weeks ago a new motor was installed in the outside unit. It started...

Air conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. I have actually two questions. Our home is about 7 years old and is extremely hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. Any ideas why. Our attic is unbeleivably hot. Should I instal a fan in there. My second question is can I add an air conditioning unit to my gas furnace(carrier)...

Air Conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

Rencently is was cool outside and I turned off my air conditioner. A couple of days later I wanted to turn it back on. It no longer blew cold air. Everything appears to be working fine. I turned it off and haven't tried to use it until the other night it was cold out and I wanted to heat the house,...

Air Conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

This Summer I installed an 18000 BTU Air Conditioner in a living room window. Will it harm the unit if I leave it in the window for the Winter? I live in Minnesota.

View more questions Search