Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asfand1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 03:38 AM
    statistics help
    my question is about statistics... I am confused about discrete and continuous variable... my teacher said that stars are continuous variable but why?? I agree they are infinite but they are in whole numbers and will be counted not measured... if we take stars a continuous variable then why don't we take the number of books continuous variable
    and my second question about this is that I know 1.01 is after 1 but if we start counting the number of books so its obvious that second book will be counted after 1st one... there can't be a 1.5th book and there is continuty in number of books so why do we say it discrete variable?? please help
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 06:06 AM

asfand1: If you are talking about counting stars as individual units I agree that they are discrete - like counting books or grains of sand. Perhaps your teacher is assuming that the number of stars is infinite (astronomers disagree about that, so it's a poor example to use). For things that can range to infinity you can think of the jump between any two possibilities as being infinitely small compared to the whole range of possibilities. In that sense you can model stars as being a continuous variable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

First let me say I am not a student asking for homework help. I have been perusing a old book of mine 'Introduction to the Theory of Statistics' (Mood 1950) and have come across the following problem at the end of one of the chapters. It is stated exactly as follows:"Suppose intelligence quotients...

Statistics [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions that I just can't figure out correctly. 1. If x-bar is 4.725 and R-bar is 0.0096, and n=4, then the UCL sub R and LCL sub R are? A. 0 and 0.022 B. 0.022 and 0 C. 0.563 and 0.563 D. 0.022 and 1.00 2 If x-bar is 4.725 and R-bar is 0.0096, and n=4, then the UCL sub x-bar...

View more questions Search