Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daryljohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Please explain "space programming".
    I have come across this term with regard to interior design and architecture. Can you explain it to me?
    lilian567 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2010, 06:50 AM
    Space programming for interior design is really just called "Programming" in the industry. It's the analysis of current user space (what works well and doesn't work well) with relation to user comfort and function. It takes up a good 1/3 of the total design process and is essential for any big design project. It often includes user occupancy surveys, light metering surveys, occupancy mapping (looking at travel patterns in the space) a complete analysis of the profiles of each user, etc etc. The result of the programming phase often comes in a bound packet that is used to support design decisions down the road.

This is different from "Space Planning" which is the planning of architectural elements and furnishings, which comes much further down the road in the process.

The definition set forth by NCIDQ:

"Programming" means the scope of work which includes, but is not limited to, conducting research; identifying and analyzing the needs and goals of the client and/or occupant(s) of the space; evaluating existing documentation and conditions; assessing project resources and limitations; identifying life, safety and code requirements; and developing project schedules and budgets.

For more info, check out: http://www.ncidq.org/AboutUs/AboutInteriorDesign/DefinitionofInteriorDesign.aspx

Hope this helps!
    tomsmith2010 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 01:39 AM
    The space program is the foundation of the designer's work. It acts as a guide during the study and the preparation of space layout. It is also a communication tool between the designer and the client. During the development of the program, the programmer will solicit detail information from the client about the company's history, organization, operations, policies, personnel and group requirements that make up the company. Much of the programming effort focuses on quantitative calculations using basic unit takeoff that derives from revision of existing space standards from the company or from industry standards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend of 5 and a half years needing space... someone please explain! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I have been dating my girlfriend for over 5 years now. About 2.5 years into the relationship, I started a 2 year education, meaning I could only pay for my expensive (and a bit of household foodstuffs every now and then) whilst she took care of the rent and other bills. I was...

Is space as in "space-time" a vector quantity? [ 2 Answers ]

Are space and time represented as vectors like, they are negative or positive depending upon a situation . If yes, how is it shown in space time graphs?

Having trouble with paper training my chihuahua mix. Need more space to explain. [ 9 Answers ]

We have been given a wonderful, little chihuahua mix. He was abandoned and ended up with some friends of ours, who gave him to us. He's very sweet, and he's wonderful with my kids. The vet thinks he's about a year old. The only problem we've had with him is the potty training. For a variety of...

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

View more questions Search